Former gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar stabbed multiple times in prison

Originally published at: Former gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar stabbed multiple times in prison | Boing Boing

3 Likes

10 Likes

This is a weird kind of a situation, where I have absolutely no sympathy for Nassar himself, yet find myself angered that this kind of prison violence happens in the first place.

51 Likes

“Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, if you convict my client he’s very likely to be killed in prison, and as this is not a capital crime, you therefore are required not to convict him.”

11 Likes

Same. The dude is a serial predator who gets no sympathy for me. But at the same time, our prison system is barbaric. And that juries know that may be one reason why “white collar” criminals, and white politicians, don’t get jail time as often as they should.

Maybe if we had nicer jails, more of those “nice” crooked politicians and businessmen who have committed crimes on an industrial scale could finally get convicted and sentenced to prison terms? Maybe not, maybe that’s just a fantasy of mine. But I can hope.

22 Likes

A prison system that allows someone like Larry Nassar to face this kind of violence in custody is a prison system where any convict can face this kind of violence in custody.

27 Likes

I know people who were hurt by Nassar and I can’t say I’m anything but happy to hear this news.

I will add that all of Larry’s claims in the letter contradict the first hand accounts of his victims.

4 Likes

5 Likes

He was briefly moved to a facility in Oklahoma before being transferred to the Coleman II penitentiary in Florida, where he’s currently incarcerated incapacitated.

3 Likes

Nassar is one of the creepiest scumbags I’ve ever had the displeasure of learning anything about. That said, I want him to experience every second of every day of the rest of his miserable life in prison. I take no joy in any subversion of the justice system, especially one that demonstrates how the prison-industrial complex takes care of inmates. Or more to the point, how it doesn’t.

9 Likes

Darn it.

There comes a point where someone is so evil and harmed so many people for so many years that I just can’t have sympathy for them. I’ll save that for other victims of the prison system in the States.

4 Likes

At this rate, he’ll never make it to the end of his “hundreds of years” sentence!

4 Likes

interesting choice of words to use for the headline, considering what he’s in there for.

4 Likes

If you can’t say something nice, say it about Larry Nassar.

7 Likes

Just watched this from Steve Shives… obviously Nasser is not dead, but still…

3 Likes

For sure. He should not have been stabbed in prison. They have an obligation to keep prisoners safe. If this had happened while he was out in public, well he had it coming.

4 Likes

This is what happens Larry.

2 Likes

This would be the “finding out” phase of our program…

2 Likes

Like many of you, I find stories like this to be so conflicting. Nassar deserves a long lifetime of hell and suffering, but people shouldn’t be assaulted in prison. At least I’m not conflicted as to whether or not he deserves to be assaulted. It’s a pity it can’t be delivered by the hands of the families of the victims. I’m sure some family members wouldn’t mind treating him like a pinata.

2 Likes

I was about to ask why they put a nonce in with other prisoners (usually they’re kept separate for just this reason), but I remembered that this is the US prison system, so the cruelty is probably the point.

3 Likes