On 'ET,' host Nancy O'Dell addresses Donald Trump's sexual assault boasts

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/10/10/nancy-odell-addresses-donald.html

3 Likes

I suppose tabloid TV along the likes of Entertainment Tonight and Access Hollywood is mostly as vacuous as it ever was today? I could barely stand it back in the day. (It would be nice if this little incident led to it being killed off, but I suppose popular appetites are such that something just as bad would rise up to take its place.)

3 Likes

You beat me to it. I spit my cornflakes up when I read Nancy O’Dell referring to herself as a journalist.

5 Likes

Audio tape? Audio tape? Did I miss something? I saw a videotape. This is the same guys, different day?

2 Likes

…but not when the current GOP nominee for POTUS graphically described sexually assaulting her? Well golly let’s make sure that headline is clear on O’Dell’s qualifications to be groped.

16 Likes

Yes. O’Dell is a journalist.

She reports daily about topics many in our society care about. Just like sports writers, Weather Channel meteorologists, and the late, great Bill Cunningham.

You may not deem her area of reporting worthy of your time, but that does not change the fact that she is reporting daily – that she is journalist.

23 Likes

11 Likes

I like that, like the guy is some sort of war correspondent.

4 Likes

Because sex and family create private loyalties, the Party must somehow control these

3 Likes

This is an accurate statement. However a lot of journalists have a very inflated sense of self-importance, which is why tabloid journalists were pooh-poohed* by newspaper journalist.

Which is not to say that journalists don’t do important work, but look at this Trump scandal; why is it any different from how TMZ handled Mel Gibson?.

Because Mel Gibson wasn’t running for president?

8 Likes

My friend posted an interesting take on FB the other day-

I just read through the Trump transcript. I did not immediately get a “sex offender” vibe. I got a little sad for Trump.
What I heard was the cry we all heard from high school. That kid. That kid with all the “experience”. Been with all the ladies (that lived in Canada), and spoke so vulgarly about all of them, and we all knew not a one of them was real. However, down deep you knew he would be like that all his life.

Honestly, it sounds kind of consistent with a guy with three mail order brides.

5 Likes

This statement makes the most sense to me; it explains the madness we keep seeing from people like this on such topics.

Not to me. trump sounds like the wealthiest, whitest, raised-with-a-silver-spoon-in-his-mouth, entitled jackass that does whatever he wants to people because there’s so rarely consequences to his bad behavior. Some woman sues him or accuses him of assault, he’s got his team of lawyers at the ready, along with the bully pulpit offered by the tabloid media (among others). Give him coffee that’s not hot enough, or just be in his way at the wrong time, and he’ll happily tromp all over us for daring to bother the wanna-be king.

I’d guess that he’s had so little pushback in his life–“No, Donald, you may NOT have [thing] right now”–that it’s second nature to him to expect people to do his bidding without question. Why would it be wrong if the repercussions never reach him?

Which is why, again IMHO, he’s a coward towards HRC because she’s kicking his ass in all the places where it matters, and his only return is to bloviate about Bill Clinton’s past. He’s finally matched against someone who has the capacity to call him out on his bullshit, and he can’t lawyer or spend his way out of it this time.

EDIT: Wanted to tack on to the end one last thing: Go Fuck Yourself, trump.

13 Likes

Way to miss the point.

7 Likes

If the following statement:

“And when you’re a star they let you do it. You can do anything. Grab 'em by the p—y. You can do anything."

equates to Trump admitting to sexual assault, as Lawrence O’Donnell absurdly opined Sunday and, apparently, most BBers here actually agree with, then it would follow that this other famousTrump statement:

“I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose voters.”

could get him accused of murder.

Seriously, folks: have you lost your damned minds?

1 Like

7 Likes

LBJ had his dick out on every occasion. He regularly gave instructions on the shitter. Bill Clinton had no problem with sexual assault. Those are just 2 examples.

The office of the President is not known for inviting polite personalities. Politics requires people to be assholes.

Trump’s problem is not that he is an asshole. Trump is incompetent. America needs some who will get something, anything, done. While there is little chance it will be Hillary, there’s no chance it will be Trump.

1 Like

In the first case Trump bragged he could shoot someone and not lose voters.

In the second Trump bragged about sexually assaulting women.

Trump may have been making up the sexual assaults, but that’s what he was bragging about. For the most part, the discussions I’ve seen here describe the tape as Trump bragging about sexual assualt, which is completely correct.

You might be getting mixed up since there were also discussions of the many actual women who’ve accused Trump of sexually assaulting them, enumerated here for your convenience:

Lawrence O’Donnell shifted the discourse, but from my recall that didn’t happen here, or if it did it was in the context of real-world reports.

11 Likes

One described criminal actions he HAD performed; the other described a criminal action he COULD perform (and clearly has fantasized about).

12 Likes