On Star Trek: TNG, those aren't Captain Picard's hands holding his flute

The fist time we saw the Vulcan hand gesture we associate with the phrase “live long and prosper” was in Amok Time. The actress Celia Lovsky, who played T’Pau couldn’t hold the gesture. Some sources say she had someone behind her doing it for her and others say she had to use one hand to get the other in position just before it was on camera.

They’re Trump’s hands. That flute is tiny and closer to the camera.

Why do you have to ruin everything?! lol

Good lord… this hasn’t been altered in any way? I had no idea and once you see it it’s painfully obvious, it looks terrible!

…he’s just glad to see you.

Interesting Trivia: The first set of crystal balls Moschen used to learn contact juggling were given to him by Penn Jillette of Penn and Teller fame. They were next-door neighbours and best friends and Jillette, Moschen and Moschen’s brother Colin learned juggling together as teenagers.

1 Like

Great, next they’ll tell us that those weren’t Jonathan Frakes’ own legs doing the Riker Maneuver all that time. :’(

7 Likes

riker-surprise

8 Likes
4 Likes

Happens a lot though. It’s like George Carlin pretending to play guitar in Bill & Ted - although I think they just did cuts between the actual hands and George making guitar shredding faces, none of this “Jean-Luc has four elbows” devilry.

1 Like

The keyboard has nowhere near the range of notes heard coming from it, so I’m guessing it’s more of an interface that detects your hand motions and deduces “Aha! You’re doing Frere Jacques! Let me help you with that…”

I tried one of those roll-up keyboards. It was awful. Every note had to be stabbed hard to be sure of getting a sound out of it. I took it back to the store the same day.

(At least the faking itself was competent. Most times someone is playing a piano in a movie, they’re either moving their shoulders around with their hands out of view, or they’re just doing whatever the hell they feel like, going up when the music stays in the same place, and so on. Bad instrument faking—even when it’s the non-existent fake instruments in THE 5,000 FINGERS OF DR T, pulls me right out of the scene. Alan Alda drilled intensively for weeks in order to play Liszt’s Mephisto Waltz #1 well enough to be convincing with his hands, and more power to him for that. He says he forgot it as soon as filming was over.)

2 Likes

Thanks for this, been listening to her music since watching this video, she’s awesome!

1 Like

IKR?!? My partner found her first so I can’t take the credit but the moment I heard the line “Took a DNA test turns out…” I was hooked.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.