On Stephen King, privilege, and douchery

Continuing the discussion from A thread of our own- misogyny, split by request:

5 Likes

Iā€™d so much rather focus on the women trying to make a difference, than the perpetual parade of asshole men.

17 Likes

Muzzled? Ugh, fug off with that shite, Mr. King. Woody can just get another publisher.

10 Likes

He can self publish or set it up as a book in demand.

9 Likes

Someone please muzzle Stephen King. He hasnā€™t been relevant in decades, and was a hack even then.

11 Likes

I suspect ā€œJoe Hillā€ is actually him, but canā€™t prove it.

He has a son named Joe Hill, but I suspect this son is getting daddy to write his books for him.

2 Likes

The books are different enough that I have no doubt that Joe is the actual author.

Also, I wish there were a few more ā€˜hacksā€™ with Kingā€™s skills and productivityā€¦

4 Likes

Before this thread goes off-topic about King and whether or not heā€™s a good writer outside of his numerous White Dude With Privilege flaws, can one of the leaders split it off, please and thanks?

13 Likes

Oh, you mean like how Kingā€™s books are set in Maine and Hillā€™s are set in New Hampshire?

They write in the same genre (supernatural horror, with a touch of psychological horror but not suspense), the same highly visual style, and use the same tropes. Hillā€™s a little more up to date, but they write about the same subject matter. Their writing styles are close enough, within tolerance. Iā€™ve read enough of each of their books to make a comparison. Hillā€™s books contain a laundry list of Stephen King tropes, but not too much that King would have done differently. Compare this to Richard Matheson. King writes like Matheson, and was obviously heavily influenced by him, but thereā€™s enough differences where I can tell the two apart.

Then you must love arena rock. After all, if arena rock sucks, then how do they fill arenas?

5 Likes

Although that could be said for almost any writer. The books that make the bestseller lists are overwhelmingly white. Not trailer park white, but ā€œgrew up in a bucolic New England town, dropped out of NYU, partied a lot, used family connections to get back on my feetā€ white. This isnā€™t a universal experience by any stretch of the imagination, but itā€™s what gets published. And if I have to read another white dude authorā€™s guesstimate of what a woman or a person of color is like, I will throw the book across the room.

Yes, please do.

5 Likes

These are all valid points, and I agree, even as a POC who actually likes Kingā€™s workā€¦ but itā€™s still off-topic.

Getting back on it:

ā€œCancel cultureā€ isnā€™t really a thing; as all too often, any negative consequences for shitty behavior are usually pretty short lived for most rich White dudes with power.

17 Likes

Inasmuch as there is anything that might be called ā€œcancel cultureā€, I think it flourishes online, in mostly progressive spaces on social media and among fandoms, where young people lash out at one another for not agreeing hard enough, or go on harassment sprees because someone supports a ā€œproblematicā€ ship, or wrote something with stuff in it the other person thinks is absolutely unacceptable. Itā€™s mostly silly, occasionally breath-takingly vicious, and it has nothing to do with the white privileged men complaining loudly about it.

1 Like

Thing is, though, itā€™s usually not rich white dudes with power that get ā€œcancelledā€. Very often itā€™s the liberal/progressive/woke/insert-your-synonym-here or even minority/oppresed communities doing it to their own prominent (or less prominent) members, where it can be potentially devastating and leading to fragmentation, loss of faith and trust, to say nothing of the loss of online social safety net for the victim who may or may not have done something wrong but is not even given a chance of reflecting and growing. And to make it worse, for a lot of people (not all - but a lot) itā€™s really not even about being honestly outraged or hurt, itā€™s just tribalism and confirming identities, and a justification to get the high of dogpiling and bullying someone. (Having seen a number of these cancel campaigns, a disturbing amount of people seem to really relish in them. I suppose because as a ā€œgood personā€ youā€™re not supposed to be mean to others, so many jump on any chance that justifies doing it.)

This is nothing new, mind you, itā€™s been going on for decades, but itā€™s reached really troubling heights (or lows, as it may be) in recent years, what with the growing polarization of online speech and the growth in peopleā€™s tendency for bad faith interpretations and jumping to extreme conclusions.

A lot of people have talked about this, but I think the most comprehensive is Contrapointsā€™ excellent video:

Yes, itā€™s long, but itā€™s absolutely worth a (full) watch, even if you have heard of this particular kerfluffle and already have an opinion on it.

7 Likes

Youā€™re obviously allowed to hold your own opinion.

Aside from Weinstein, Louis CK, & Cosby (who is rich and powerful, but not White, obviously) most of the men of wealth, privilege and power who are also sexual predators rarely seem to suffer any long term negative consequences for their actions, once the dust has settled and thereā€™s another scandal capturing peopleā€™s attention.

Iā€™ve already seen the Contrapoints video, and frankly Iā€™m tired of people posting it in support of their belief in ā€œcancel cultureā€ because they think it adds substance to their argument.

Contrapoints has made some good vids with valid points in the past. Regardless, sheā€™s still human and therefore fallible; and her personal opinion on ā€˜cancel cultureā€™ is likely rooted in her own bias and self interest, as sheā€™s come under fire recently from other members of the Trans community.

Targeting marginalized and disenfranchised groups and individuals in order to silence them IS a problematic issue, but I wouldnā€™t call it ā€œcancelling,ā€ because that minimizes the problem.

Iā€™d call it what it is: fascism.

12 Likes

Ronan Farrow said that it would not be ethical for Hachette to publish Allenā€™s memoir.

There is certainly a moral argument to be made against Allenā€™s work.

The legal argument requires evidence beyond a reasonable doubt-- which may well come; it hasnā€™t yet.

But ethics? In the book publishing world, what ethical principles are breached by this contract?

1 Like

by the most relevant definition, no less. King has some great books, and films and TV shows adapted from them.

But he is such a prolific writer that itā€™s more like him tinkering with different combinations of the same shit until he gets a winning combination. Crappy Stephen King adaptations have a very specific kind of ā€œSaturday Movie Nightā€ flavor of crappy.

1 Like

What ethical issues are breached by not purchasing the work and allowing Allen to shop it elsewhere or self publish?

Is this a silenced group of people he represents? Is it an important viewpoint on issues that are stifled in the marketplace of ideas? Is he poor and powerless? Will he have to worry about a place to live or eating?

8 Likes

Depends on the terms of the contract. Hachette may have breached itā€“i.e Allen gets the advance, but itā€™s not an advance, itā€™s an outright payment.

Thatā€™s not an ethical issue - itā€™s a financial one.

4 Likes

Are those two mutually exclusive ?