On the eve of a contentious election, Twitter suspends the accounts of progressive activists

I’m not sure how Twitter is an example of how punching Nazis is bad since every platform with hands off or algorithmic moderation has been overrun by Nazis.

7 Likes

I tried that with fascists once, when I was young and naive. I got an iron bar to the back of the head and concussion. Then I tried ignoring them, that didn’t work either. I still have PTSD 15 years later.

8 Likes

And fucking Kenney takes it.

I am not optimistic for the fall.

4 Likes

I tried really hard to believe that humans are innately good and kind… but white supremacists and religious whackadoos have worked even harder to prove me wrong.

We’re so screwed.

4 Likes

The measure of the effect of a Twitter offensive (pun definitely intended) seems like a foregone conclusion in all these bot-and-troll debates, but I do wonder. I haven’t seen, or don’t recall any admirable efforts to actually quantify the ffect, but what would even the mechanism be?

I mean, you are bringing up probably the only one I can accept at face value, that a story is made up whole cloth, or at least is signifocantly twisted or embellished wuthout the opportunity for rebuttal. It has to be a matter of fact and information being introduced, otherwise I can’t see how opinion would be vulnerable to a flood of strangers and heretofore unheard-of organizations just creating a chorus of preference.

1 Like

You cannot use the Ring!

Censorship answers to authoritarians alone. It has no other master.

2 Likes

Still sounds like punching them wouldn’t have helped too much there, either. At minimum, you’d want some friends and an iron bar.

1 Like

Since the historic scenario is arrests of Nazis leading to a trial, followed by death by hanging, punching probably represents the milder remedy, really.

So really, one could argue the punching is for their own good as well.

And my axe!

4 Likes

I’m #DisappointedInBoingBoing. This article reads like the exact same white supremacists attacks on Twitter policies that the alt right were making when we were asking for them.

This situation seems to point to a very different interpretation. The people who tried to use speech and electoral mechanisms were systematically shut out by structural designs that favor the Nazis.

4 Likes

Alberta’s long nightmare of competent governance is over. They can proceed with blaming everyone else for their fiscal corruption and incompetence, as they do every time the price of oil drops.

Norway has less oil and built up a trillion dollar trust fund in a couple of decades. Alberta has been awash with cash and has had a 17 Billion dollar fund for almost 30 years.

In another 30 years the farms will have farms have dried up and blown away, their forests will be gone to wildfires and the glacier fed rivers will have dried up causing the cities to wither. The oil companies will have left a giant mess behind them, and all that will remain are a few angry people in their unabomber shacks writing letters to the editor and somehow blaming Quebec for their fate.

1 Like

And my bow!

2 Likes

That, my dear extraterrestrial primate, is what “Antifa” is all about. Punching nazis works best if you make sure those with iron bars get punched first. Antifa is basically herding cats, making anarchists into just enough of a team to punch nazis.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.