On the proper care and feeding of horn-rimmed glasses

I have a nice pair from the early 30s with a break to the frame. I have not figured out how to durably repair them yet. But they are a nice look. I also have pairs in my prescription from the 1780s, 1840s, and early 1900s. Also too many pairs of vintage sunglasses to reasonably explain. Lots of flight jackets as well. But we restore those, so I have an excuse.

Or tortoise shell. Or, nowadays plastic, of course, but that would be defeating the point for @jlw would it?

2 Likes

but are “harlequin frames” the WOMEN’S style, and horn-rim (like on sammy davis) the term for the MEN’S style? i’m so confused.

1 Like

Harlequin frames are a style – cat-eye shaped. Sometimes made of horn, usually plastic.

Horn-rim describes the material, which can take all kind of classic styles.

4 Likes

Horn is very obviously not bone. The two materials look nothing alike, one is white the other is black etc. Horn has much more in common with hair and fingernails.

3 Likes

Horn is weird. I got a horn comb as a birthday present once, didn’t know anything about special care, so I regularly used it to comb my wet hair after a bath/shower… So after a year, it was terribly warped and quite smelly as well.

4 Likes

If it’s not vegan, it’s not cool. Real cool glasses are WOOD-rimmed.

1 Like

Because fuck trees man.

3 Likes

No, but they don’t suffer when you kill them. And who deserve to suffer for a pair of glasses?

Timmy Mallett?

5 Likes

I was being sarcastic :slight_smile: I do prefer for an animal not to suffer.

Somewhat off topic: I do feel bad for plants as well to a degree, these past few years i’ve taken to growing plants at home and felt guilty even trimming one of my plants because it looked like it was doing pretty good. Same plant has gotten sick multiple times this year too and i’ve felt real terrible for it ]:

3 Likes

the marketing for horn rimmed glasses implies the horn is taken as part of a “use the whole water buffalo” tradition in asia, and not killed just for the horn.

5 Likes

Only if they consent first.

I assumed as much, the issue some will have is that a given animal had to die at all for our needs. And not every animal will be put down humanely.

Personally i am not against eating meat, or using animal products. But i do make an effort to be mindful of it. Not trying to derail the discussion of the glasses though :slight_smile:

1 Like

For years I was tempted to buy glasses rims in tortoise shell, trying to convince myself that the tortoise had certainly died long before I was born.
Then I discovered wooden rims. I think it makes a good alternative for me. And they bloom in springtime.

2 Likes

Hey! I was going to make a cod liver oil joke, dammit! I’m telling mom!

Rule 34, baby. Every time.

2 Likes

Do you have something against metal or plastic?

2 Likes

Could you make them from naturally shed antlers?

I have some beautiful knives with elk handles that require similar care - which is easy since it’s wise to oil the HC steel as well - and they’ve survived many camping trips in inclement weather. Granted it isn’t technically vegan since it is an animal product, but since it’s gathered after being discarded in the wild, it’s about as close as you can get with no worries about animal ranches or slaughtering for the horns.

6 Likes

No but I wear glasses 18 hours a day and I find wood more beautiful and original.

2 Likes