On-trend in Asia: Jesse Jackson's 1988 presidential campaign logo

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/20/do-ferraro-next.html

I mean I get it. It’s not a bad looking shirt. I just don’t go for white tshirts.

4 Likes

I’d wear it, and not for the style.

3 Likes

Whatever speculation is going on about why this shirt has suddenly become hot in Korea, the question is moot:

[amazing how many of the issues he discusses are so familiar]

9 Likes

It’s also numerological: 88 is a very lucky number in Chinese culture.

10 Likes

I am sure the political statement is as nuanced as it is powerful.

7 Likes

Not so much in German culture.

8 Likes

I admit I was more Bill and Opus in 88 at the time.

1efbca1d91469a6f67e9518b109af411--bloom-county-opus

16 Likes

And Korea and other areas. Local Asian market is the 888 market.

What sucks too is its link to white supremacists, so you sometimes have to squint when seeing someone wear say this Korean super group EXO’s clothing.

There are also whole pages with nonsensical English on clothing in Asia. Little different than Kanji gibberish worn here in America.

4 Likes

Moonbyul from Mamamoo?

I’ve come across more than a few posts online where someone took a picture of a “Neo-Nazi” plate or bumper sticker that I’m often pretty sure belongs to an Asian expat. (“8888” is usually not used by Neo-Nazis for instance.)

3 Likes

Americans have certainly had their share of consumer goods emblazoned with Chinese and Japanese phrases which many people purchase without knowing what they say.

2 Likes

In China, 8 is a lucky number. (4, not so much.)

And tattoos! :grinning:

4 Likes

I am interested in this young man’s ideas, and would like to subscribe to his newsletter.

1 Like

It didn’t bring much luck to Jesse Jackson.

1 Like

I guess it’s no stupider than Americans wearing shirts with Japanese characters they don’t understand.

My wife was a Jackson delegate that year. I wonder if she still has some of the gear from the campaign.

2 Likes

She was in to Jesse Jackson before he was cool.

2 Likes

Well, I don’t know about that; he was pretty cool already in the 60s when he worked with Martin Luther King and the SCLC, and the 70s when he founded Operation Push.

1 Like

I am suddenly reminded that I animated this.

2 Likes