On Windows' battery life problems

Some of us use Windows against our will, because engineering software is written for Windows, not for the Mac. All the programmable chip manufacturers write their development systems for Windows. So I have two computers, a Mac to do cat video watching work on, and a Windows machine next to my workbench.

2 Likes

Oooh nice battery life!

But it’s a mac so who gives a shit.

3 Likes

The only performance sabotage involving Bootcamp is that you’re required to install Windows in it.

1 Like

Those cat videos don’t watch themselves, nixiebunny

1 Like

The first takeaway I get from that chart is that the “#2” Acer absolutely outclasses everything in terms of price/performance. And that of the two Apples available, the “#6” one is by far the absolute worst at price/performance.

6 Likes

I would guess that the issue with #6 is having retina graphics without hardware really capable of driving them. I expect that the Yoga 2 Pro will have the same issues with its ludicrously high resolution screen, made worse by W8.1 not dealing with scaling properly.

2 Likes

Huh. I’ve used my 17" MBP with core2 duo for 8 hours straight with no power adapter, and a constant skype session for a (egregious 12-hour) post-mortem meeting. They put a giant battery in that thing. I have never seen any PC/Windows laptop work for more than 2 hours of continuous use. Note: I am a UNIX sysadmin, and have used almost every kind of laptop in the last 17 years.

I get about 6 hours of continuous use out of my quad-core 17" MBP. I will be VERY sad when this thing dies, because a tiny Air or netbook just won’t cut it for me.

2 Likes

Cowcide (if that really is your name) MS hasn’t been anything near a monopoly in years. In the latest quarter Apple had $35 billion in revenue, MS had $20 billion. I write software for both platforms and I think it’s fair to point out that it is much more difficult to support an open ecosystem than a closed one. That makes Apple’s job easier and it makes for a better (if more expensive) user experience.

1 Like

Take a look at a Windows system after boot, even on a clean install. SO MANY little threads running doing stupid little things, all periodically waking everything up. The system indexer has to be one of the worse culprits (you can’t just scan on change?), but then there’s a low priority task that just continually scans everything looking for corrupt system files just in case. If you disable enough of these services, things get much better, but you run the risk of something else built on the mountain of cruft breaking.

3 Likes

I’ll give Apple credit. The zealotry they inspire in some of their fans is pretty remarkable.

4 Likes

I think it’s software compatibility. I have a copy of Office Professional 6.0 from 95 or so that will still work fine on my desktop. My wife has a copy of Photoshop 5.5 for OS 8.6 that will now only work on the blue/white G3 sitting under her desk (that probably doesn’t even power on at this point.) It’s not like all that old code kept around for compatibility gets rewritten and streamlined with every new version of Windows. Where as Apple doesn’t have to much problem telling it’s users to suck it and buy new copies of their programs…which are probably 90% Apple anyway (cause really at this point most people just want email, some office apps, and the internet).

1 Like

Hey, mods. Stick a fork in this topic. It’s done. @falcor?

Don’t make me pull this thread over and knock your heads together!

Info on that chart here -

http://www.soluto.com/reports/pc-purchase-guide/2013-04

@Falcor I think its relevant to show methodology, authors info etc for a list like that, yes?

The programs I use most often for this work are pCAD

See if you can dig through my comments and find where I’ve ever said that Macs are the only solution for all computer users in all situations?

Would be kind of silly considering I’m sitting here with Macs and two Windows PCs I own at my disposal.

Cowicide seems to think that I must not have ever used a Mac if I don’t think they are suitable for doing real work on.

You dug your own hole with your vapid cat video comment.

Mac to do cat video watching work on

That was you, right?

Sure, the Mac is great for desktop publishing, writing, graphic design, video editing, etc. However…

Congrats. Apparently you now realize Macs can do more than be used for viewing cat videos.

I have been using a Mac continuously since 1986

You should consider upgrading your Macintosh Plus from 1986. :smile:

What’s your point?

http://bbs.boingboing.net/t/on-windows-battery-life-problems/12499/47?u=cowicide

And goodnight sweet topic