One bourbon, one Scotch, one tequila

The crazy thing about rye is that there’s so much labeling weirdness and inbreeding that goes on. Of the rye’s you mentioned, four (Templeton, Redemption, Bulleit, and High West) all come from the same mass spirit producer in Indiana, MGP!

I like rye, too, but I usually go with standard Old Overholt for cocktails. It’s cheap and makes a nice Manhattan.

2 Likes

Definite thumbs up to Plantation XO 20th Anniversary rum from me - and thank-you to the awesome bartender at Rumba in Seattle* who introduced me to this fine drink.

• 1112 Pike St. Seattle, WA 98101 (up the hill from the Convention Centre) lovely staff and far, far too many rums to choose from.
1 Like

ok, but that does not mean they are all the same recipe and process.

The alcohol industry is comprised of only a few very large conglomerates that distribute under various labels for a handful of reasons. Not the least of which is that they have bought up smaller distilleries over the years to nab into their distribution licensing districts. It allows them to then distribute their other brands within a locality without applying for new licenses which are costly and a PITA.

The other added advantage is it allows them to purchase larger quantities of stock materials and mass produce the base mash needed.

1 Like

No, I think it literally all comes from the same vats and barrels. Some of the labels might put it in a special barrel for a while after the fact or something to fancy it up, but its all the same base spirit.

Here’s another article with a lot of info about the sorry state of American rye whiskey:

2 Likes

I’m a Balvenie girl. Hendricks or the local Blue Coat for my summer G&T’s.

2 Likes

Rye, the only spirit worth rebelling over. As a Pennsylvanian it is nice to see true Ryes again. Now when you order a Manhattan, you can get a Manhattan!

2 Likes

I also assumed this was about some weird Amos Milburn vs The Champs mashup at first.

Yep. As well as Whisle Pig, Tin Cup, Sagamore… basically anything that claims to be both a craft whiskey and over 2 years. is coming from MGPI. There are very few craft distilleries that have been operating long enough for a fully aged expression.

1 Like

Nicely put.

I find that the peat arms race is approaching the point of undrinkability, as is the hops arms race in beer.

2 Likes

I mean, there’s still peated Scotch at other levels. But for me anything more than Ardbeg levels of peat is just a novelty. Some people like it though, so to each their own. If the Octo helps Bruichladdich stay in business to sell their Rockside Farm, then more power to 'em.

I’m not a big drinker, but I bought a bottle of the diplomatico for a friend as a thank you gift (he’s definitely a rum enthusiast), and he spoke highly of it. Also, he’s the kind of friend who would be honest if it wasn’t good, so there’s that.

2 Likes

I used to love trying different single malts until the snobs elbowed their way in and the whole sequence of hand numbered bottles, runs of 300 bottles, priced like a new laptop, showed up. Seriously, fuck it. I’m perfectly happy to drink standard label Glenmorangie or Macallan until this blows over.

2 Likes

I hear you. But the speculators and collectors aren’t going away. Demand and supply waxes and wanes due to market lag over the long maturation time of Scotch, but the number of people investing in it to turn a profit is only going to grow in coming years. My recommendation is to seek out the indie bottlings and newer distilleries where the most innovation is happening. Granted it’s a minefield and there’s plenty of junk going on the market, but there’s also more information available than ever before, and that will only increase.

That said, as a go-to Highland and Speyside respectively, Glenmorangie or Macallan are tasty selections. But both have been going up in price, especially the Macs.

1 Like

We can only hope.

1 Like

Does this look like a bottle of Scotch whisky or more like some damn tangerine vodka? Pardon me now while I go chase the brats off my yard.

3 Likes

While I appreciate the idea of a unique package design to help their Scotch stand out on store shelves, and I kinda get where they’re going with the clear frosted glass (“it’s smoky, like all the peat we cram into the whisky!”), it definitely comes off as sterile, like it’s a lab experiment or a high end vodka or spring water.

3 Likes

Macallan was my go-to scotch, but the switch from age statement to color labeling (like I’m buying a damn crayon) hasn’t been positive

2 Likes

7yr old Havana Club seems to be a favorite with us Sydney happy mutants too.
No embargo here.

1 Like

Yes please. Just not all in the same glass.

2 Likes

I tend to get turned off to products that seem like they’re trying too hard to sell their value. If i were to see that bottle of Octomore and i didn’t know anything about it i’d find the bottle interesting but would find it suspicious on that basis alone. Seems more gimmicky to me than classy.

I don’t buy hard alcohols for myself though so looking at the variety of bottles at the liquor store is an interesting experience for me.

1 Like