One fish, two fish

Tasmania is awful.

I know 'cus the Dog says so…

I’m going to suggest that’s a no on the coracle idea. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Shit, I live in Arizona. Here the plants want to kill you, and they can jump.

3 Likes

Can we get you a house warming gift? Some bait? Some beer? A life jacket? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Shark repellent?

4 Likes

A manual about how to fight invasive species?

2 Likes

Technically, isn’t that about 400 years too late?

Looking at the videos… a bigger boat?

4 Likes

Never too late depending on what you fight for.

Haven’t seen the video. No opinion on that, but I think the kid saw more movies.

1 Like

I did say technically.

2 Likes

Tasmania still has fairly extreme quarantine restrictions to this day, BTW. Plants, seeds, unfinished timber, unwashed garden tools: all forbidden to import.

4 Likes

My grandfather used to take me fishing for flathead in Port Phillip Bay. Because they’re bottom-feeders, you need a decent sinker (one of those upside-down pyramids) and a section of line to make sure the hook floats about 20cm from the bottom.

Now I want battered flathead.

3 Likes

For good reasons, mostly. Island ecosystems are not good at coping with globalisation.

Insert goldblum.gif here, sadly. Inverse Jurassic Park setting, in a way.

(When I clicked through to the comic, I was surprised someone would be allowed move cats and dogs, but then, people are very attached to those. sighs)

1 Like
3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I caught the biggest trout of my life yesterday (and that’s no small thing - I obsessively fish for big trout in lakes). Previous biggest trout was last year, at a little over 10 lbs. This one was between 12 and 15 lbs and way too big for the (usually oversized) net.

10 Likes

Huge! How many servings from something that big?

2 Likes

Zero. It’s a catch-and-release lake, which is how they get so big. That, and I’m fairly certain it’s a triploid - a modified fish that doesn’t spawn or even try to. No redirection of resources towards spawning means they get bigger faster.

3 Likes

I’m not sure that’s a good thing.

2 Likes

I’m OK with it for artificial fisheries like this one. Fifteen years ago, the lake I fished was a low spot on a farmer’s field. They added an earthen dam and now it’s a lake.

I wouldn’t want the fisheries folks to mess with natural lakes and streams like this. Better to support & restore the wild ecosystem and encourage native fish to thrive.

3 Likes

Then you deserve this very fine piece of apparel:

5 Likes