Giant freshwater fish attacks woman and tears a chunk out of her leg

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/03/giant-freshwater-fish-attacks.html

7 Likes

“What do you need a full auto spear gun for?”

-takes a drag off a cigarette-

“Killer muskie. Once they get a taste for human flesh, it’s all they think about.”

32 Likes

Tag: Wonderful Creatures

11 Likes

Muskie are some scary ass fish. Their mouths are basically full of razor-daggers, and they’re aggressively mean as shit on top of being ridiculously big and strong. They snatch ducks off the surface of the water, and I think it’s not because they need to, but just because they like to murder.

25 Likes

Given the rapacious reputation of ducks though, maybe it’s more an animal vigilante thing?

15 Likes

I grew up with legends of Lake Minnetonka’s 50 lb yippy-dog snatchers. You might be onto something.

[edit] The snatchers were said to be muskies,

14 Likes

Ducks? Pffft. They are the idiots of the fowl world.

Geese? Watch the hell out for them. They are vicious beasts that will bite you. And if they miss, they will chase you. I have no idea what I was thinking when I took my daughter for a walk one winter day and thought this would be cool. We escaped because we had a bag of Cheerios to distract them until we got in the car.
20469_230889674188_2780984_n

22 Likes

Muskies in the news, this sounds horrifying. Just watched a video on them the other day. Dude makes a lure for them from a fidget spinner and the hair he cut from his own head right there on the water. Crazy dude.

17 Likes

They’ve forgotten they’re prey. And Canadian prey as well, so they should be polite.

ETA: are you sure they weren’t trying to give your daughter goose-hugs? Because she is adorable.

9 Likes

Pfft.

Swans are to geese as muskies are to pike.

24 Likes

You best stay away from Boston Commons…

7 Likes

(Dubiously named) mute swans, at any rate. Trumpeter swans are pretty chill, though.

4 Likes

So that’s a muskie!

2 Likes

Do not get between geese and their fuzzy little babies.

8 Likes

a former girlfriend told me about ice fishing with her grandfather when she was about 5. grandpa got something on the line and began reeling in as she peered into the fishing hole. Only to be greeted by a wall of muskie/pike teeth. At which point she ran screaming back to the house and hasn’t liked fish since…

14 Likes

Saw a broken forearm bone in a child attacked by a goose. Mean and ugly beasts.

6 Likes

There is a family of them hanging out in my community.

I have been tracking the growth of the babies from hatchling to adult over the last 6 weeks or so. I have kept a distance form them all the time. The kids got aggressive once their adult feathers grew in.

Pecking at my knees and drooling on my shoes. I was wearing a particularly green Hawaiian print shirt. Maybe they mistook me for a lawn.

7 Likes

Muskies… the piranha of the north… Wait till the being back the sharks of the north… lake sturgeon… ah the caviar we will have!

7 Likes

The sea creatures have just about had it with us.

4 Likes

Reminded of this classic…

18 Likes