One magic mushroom trip can permanently make you more open

I’ve heard mushrooms can also cure a headache.

Somewhere, Paul Stamets is grinning.

That’s what the first time was for me. Some close friends and I went to a local swimming hole near my house in Maine, and had a blissful, but not mindless time. I ended up staring at the sun (the face of the universe…) so long I couldn’t read easily for the next couple of days, and laid on the side of a grassy hill and befriended a bumble bee, which sat in my hand and let me pet it’s fur. An old man buzzed around the periphery of the place on a busted old vespa weaving in and out of the woods and sand dunes. We ended up signing a “no suicide pact” in the sand, but not because we felt self-destructive, just because we felt so open, we thought we might just decide to explore the afterlife.

I can’t believe how gentle and positive the come-down was. It left me wanting to go back to life, and continue living, with zero craving for the drug again.

The second time was with a girl I’d known since childhood who wanted a friend to accompany her first trip. I knew I’d gotten there when I could see, really see the veins in a leaf. We ended up tucked into a pile of stuffed animals on the bottom shelf of a toy store.

The only negative experience was with a couple of guys in college who wanted to drink and smoke, and generally use them as just another party drug. It was pretty miserable.

generally speaking, 10/10 would try again.

7 Likes

So does one bad trip have a permanent negative impact?

2 Likes

You got enough for a space odyssey? I’m looking for a long-distance trip here.

1 Like

Friend, a handful of these robo-shrooms will rendezvous you with Rama, you dig?

3 Likes

PTSD can happen. Also can happen with other psychadelics like LSD.

I’ve done my share of shrooms and prefer Amazonians and Golden Teachers, although Thundermoons were cool, too. Almost had a comedown seizure on Penis Envies. I met somebody who had regular comedown seizures on Amazonians, especially combined with weed, so they switched to low-dose LSD from a trusted source for consistency.

Whenever I talk to somebody who had a bad trip, they can almost never (except in two very exceptional cases, one of them stupid because they tried to re-up late at night after coming down) tell me what strain they took or how much. With LSD the latter case applies as well as the dangerous and stupid refrain, “I got it from some guy at a party.”

As long as you know what you’re taking, how much, and who it’s from–and you avoid psychedelics while in a bad mental place–you should be totally fine.

Psychedelics are indeed life-altering, and super cheap. I got the central idea to my graduate school thesis on a well-known video game during my first trip (on Amazonians) while playing Shadow of the Colossus for the first time.

1 Like

I think this is true.
I just do not remember, it was the 60’s.

2 Likes

Yes!!! I was wondering the same thing, and I am a native English speaker. This seems very vague and not very measurable.

Open to change? Open to ideas? Open to sharing personal facts? Id like to see some brain scans before and after for comparison.

I just do not remember, it was the 60’s.

Story checks out

3 Likes

Do you know the neural correlate of “open”?

If you read the thread, you’ll find zero examples of people who have tried psylocibin disagreeing with the “overly vague” term “more open”. Sure that’s just anecdotal, but it’s what you’ve got and none of it is contradictory to the original assertion.

I respect the desire for evidence, but remember that the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.

Many things in psychology are not directly quantifiable, but are nevertheless measured.

1 Like

Ajar? Your brain is in ajar, your mind is Jar-Jar.

3 Likes

I prefer the MIT license.

1 Like

My mistake! I thought you asked about the neutral correlate - neither open nor closed.

1 Like

2 Likes

Receptive to and entertaining philosophical concepts dealing with our existence, life, the universe, etc.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.