Onebox all the links!

Perhaps specific to Twitter onebox then?

If I may: what say we take a look at this?

https://www.evilmadscientist.com/2011/microwave-oven-diagnostics-with-indian-snack-food/

iFramely says thereā€™s oEmbed data, but itā€™s not oneboxing.

ETA: Found another one.
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/the-mechanics-of-the-pull-up-and-why-women-can-absolutely-do-them/

ETA2: One more?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3255226/

Make sure they have a valid text description, also some hosts will blacklist all crawl attempts from user-agents they donā€™t like. We see this a lot on WordPress installs hosted by WP-Engine, for example.

1 Like

Since a couple of days, maybe a week, links to The Register wonā€™t onebox anymore. They used to.

Example:

2 Likes

Fixed!

Thanks!!!

2 Likes

Archive.orgā€™s radio plays seem to be clogging something:

Dimension X 50 04 15 With Folded Hands

Naked link:

In the preview, thereā€™s a too large image, but nothing seems to show up after posting.

Well thatā€™s odd @techAPJ can you take a quick look?

1 Like

I pushed a fix for this:

ā€¦ but the onebox looks awful as itā€™s just a tiny audio player that is taking up a lot of space because itā€™s embedded via iframe and the CSS is not optimized. The same can be seen on Twitter Card validator:

Will look for a workaround and then bump onebox version.

1 Like

Anyone else having trouble Oneboxing stuff that used to Onebox, like NPR and HuffPo?

Yes, I just came here to report that.

HuffPo is completely broken ā€“ Iā€™ve tried numerous times to link to HP and it never works.

Example:

2 Likes

I was wondering if itā€™s related to huffpost redirecting to some ad crap (guce.advertising.com) thatā€™s stopping it from oneboxing, i donā€™t even click huffpost links because iā€™m not whitelisting whatever it wants to show me so i always get an immediate ā€˜server not foundā€™ page. NPR has that data protection pageā€¦

2 Likes

i saw people using iframely to check oneboxing above. huffpo seems to work okay there. at first glance, nothing special listed in its debug mode either

1 Like

@techAPJ could you take a look at this next week? ā†‘

2 Likes

I have a Onebox question. Itā€™s about the display of the number-of-clicks that the link gets.

When I see a Onebox and I click on the blue title-line, and then I refresh the bbs topic page, it doesnā€™t display any number. Like so:
04%20AM

But when I click on the grey name of the site, and then refresh the bbs topic page, it displays a number showing that it got a click. Like so:
12%20AM

However, it appears to me that the link is the same for both the blue and the grey text. Is there a reason that one counts and the other doesnā€™t?

Users can get badges for posting popular links that get so many clicks. Shouldnā€™t they get credit for a click on either text, that goes to the same link? Or do they get credit somehow, and it just doesnā€™t display?

Am I missing or misunderstanding something?

I know itā€™s not a big thing, Iā€™ve just been curious about it for a while. Also, if I click on someoneā€™s link, I want them to get credit for it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I deployed latest version here and that fixed this issue.

Testing:

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Iā€™m curious about the same thing.

When I am uninformed or only marginally interested in a topic, I sometimes use click count as a proxy measure of community engagement. In those instances, I am more likely to follow a link with a high click count since there is a good chance it will support multiple discussions.

1 Like

Yes! Me, too. Occasionally, though, Iā€™m fooled by a high number of clicks, and the linked info is (IMO) boring or insubstantial. Then I wonder if everyone else felt a bit fooled too. (You win some and lose some, of course.)

A funny thing Iā€™ve noticed (not just with Oneboxes, but any link here) is that a high number of clicks on a link often seems to correlate with a low number of Likes on the comment itself that contains the link (I have no statistics on thatā€”thatā€™s just my own impression). So Iā€™ve wondered if most people tend to click away from the bbs page to read the linked info, and never get back to the comment itself to give it a Like. So lately Iā€™ve tried to make a habit ofā€”if I think that a link was worthwhile/interestingā€”purposefully coming back to the comment itself to give it a Like.

I normally open links (anywhere I encounter them, not just on the bbs) in a new tab manually, but I donā€™t always do it. My success rate for getting back to a comment to give it a Like was improved when I changed my User settings here to automatically open all links in a new tab [Preferences>Interface>Other>Open all external links in a new tab]. Then when I close the linked page, the comment I went there from is for sure still up on my screen and I can easily give it a Like if I want to, before I move on.

2 Likes

Are you clicking links in your own post? Those wonā€™t be counted. Otherwise Iā€™m not sure I understand what youā€™re asking.

1 Like

Thanks for replying!

No, no.

Iā€™ll try to explain what I mean again, making an example with post #118, just above, in this topic.

As I type this, it appears that no one has yet clicked in the Onebox of post #118. So, it looks like thisā€”

12%20PM

Okay, now Iā€™ve clicked on the blue text (which is a link), and refreshed the page. It now looks like this (i.e., thereā€™s no change, it doesnā€™t show that anyone clicked the link)ā€”

And now Iā€™ve clicked on the grey text (which is a link), and refreshed the page. It now shows that someone has clicked the linkā€”

34%20PM

Butā€”itā€™s the same URL, for either. They both go to the same place. Yet it seems that it doesnā€™t get counted if we happen to click on the blue text instead of the grey text to go there.

5 Likes