Oneita Jackson's "Nappy-Headed Negro Syndrome"

Yes, exactly: l do not think she would have interpreted the word the same way.

3 Likes

So far (I’m halfway through) the story about the EBT resonates the loudest. Trying to use food stamps can generate its own flavor of Nappy Hair Syndome, if it’s not a grocery store that poor people routinely shop at.

5 Likes

“Poor people?” Uh-oh–the Syndrome? I know a bunch of artists and a few small business owners and restaurant workers and entrepreneurs who have the EBT. Wouldn’t necessarily call them poor. Wink. Trying to get one myself.

3 Likes

The idea that we can end racism is interesting. It is tantamount to the idea of ending bullying or sexism. We can’t. We need to handle it, effectively, and that means we need to be aware of it. … That thing referred to as “white privilege” is what l describe as “the privilege of obliviousness.”

11 Likes

This is an interesting discussion. I am interested in the idea of convincing people that they should not be white. (And l do understand what you mean–embracing an idea versus embracing flesh.) Have you ever engaged in any conversations attempting to do this? And been successful at it?

2 Likes

I had just gotten the stink-eye from a clerk at the shishi boutique grocer in some tourist hot spot, when I came home to a Kroger that had helpfully put, “Yes! You can use EBT to buy this” stickers on their cold chicken.

The earlier snub had hurt worse than I wanted to admit, and this sticker felt insanely welcoming by way of contrast. I wanted to buy that chicken with cash just to reward the store. And then I took a step back and hated myself just a little for even giving it this much attention. I didn’t get the chicken in the end.

6 Likes

It’s a thing I did not fully comprehend until I became a 40 year old white man in America, despite being raised a humanist. Holy crap it’s good to be a 40 year old white guy in the USA. I don’t mean to brag, I think I do what I can when I can to reduce my own social footprint, but craaaap this society is set up for me. It ain’t fair, how can I help?

5 Likes

See? The Syndrome. Someone is judging you based on what, right? That is cool, those Kroger stickers.

One time l had a fare who told me the specific names of two schools he attended. When he got to the third, he didn’t name it. He said he went to an Ivy League school. When I asked him why he didn’t tell me the name, he told me he didn’t like to tell people where he went because they made assumptions about him. There is a lot of irony in this story. It’s in the Complete Edition of the book.

4 Likes

Have you ever seen that Louis CK piece about white privilege? HILARIOUS! I will find it. Meanwhile, how can you help? Read my little book. See the comments below for how to get a FREE copy.

2 Likes

Here is the Louis CK piece–“l’m white, which, thank God for that shit!”
https://youtu.be/wyQTAIiCa4Y

3 Likes

He has a super unique perspective, grew up in Mexico but looks like Boston. His own admitted abuses of privilege are illuminating, and I kinda look forward to seeing what he has to say about it in the future. He’s right about privilege, and having it.

It’s been a privilege to speak with you, damn fine voice you have there. is there anywhere to purchase your book, for those loathe so share their digits?

3 Likes

also:

4 Likes

Oh, my: You are afraid to text your e-mail to my phone number? I am not going to give it to anyone. I put my personal cell number there. I don’t know any other way to do this–you can message me on Facebook, l reckon? …

The Complete Edition will be available April 1, 2018, so you can buy it at the link at the bottom of the story. I am sending the PDF of the Preview Edition, which is no longer available.

I tried to upload the PDF so everyone could read it, but l have no privileges, yet.

3 Likes

Forgot my manners–wrote a book about that, too: THANK YOU for your kind words.

2 Likes

I’ve poked our hosts to ask after that.

re: phone number, it’s not you, is accursed moose and squirrel. :wink:

4 Likes

I saved George Carlin’s New York Times obituary.

1 Like

If you text your e-mail to 313-556-4717, l am the only one who will see it. Are we clear?

1 Like

I am more comfortable giving out my phone number than my e-mail address.

2 Likes

I’m just uncomfortable about everything. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I am getting hipper by the minute! Send me a message with your e mail address, please, and l will send you the Preview Edition.

1 Like