Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Google apologizes for not knowing what the hell Trump was babbling about.

16 Likes
34 Likes

Anyone else wonder how long Trump is going to put up with Dr. Anthony Fauci? He keeps undercutting the “dont worry, be happy” storyline by actually telling the truth. Trump tends to not tolerate that well.

29 Likes

OITNB-alex-kidding-me|nullxnull

21 Likes

I think we’re already at the point where most people are looking at sources outside of the federal government for guidance. Certainly out here on the West Coast, we know we’re on our own.

22 Likes

True. The schools and theme parks and sports and entertainment venues should have been closed at least a week ago, and ideally longer.

I hope the weddings will end up being postponed, and that she’ll bounce back. But a 2-month hit on a small business’s cash flow is definitely something to worry about. In my own life, there’s now a good chance that a close relative’s business is going to go under because of COVID-19 after he’s spent nearly 20 years keeping it afloat, and another relative told me that clients are backing out of deals that so far amount to 1/5 of his annual income.

The sense I get is that adults in the room, such as they are, told him that he either lets experts like Fauci talk without contradicting them or they’re going to quit en masse. They’re also probably pulling some sort of reverse psychology working with his narcissistic behaviours to make him think that the experts are following his lead. But that only gets them so far as things get more stressful. So, yeah, the clock is ticking.

28 Likes

From the numbers I have, it looks like the epidemic in Hungary is a week or more behind Austria (assuming you don’t use American-style testing methods…), so while your government probably should have acted earlier, you’re not worse off than other European countries.

In Austria we went from “government tells us all to wash our hands” to “no public gatherings beyond 100 people indoors and 500 people outdoors, university lectures canceled” on Tuesday.
On Tuesday evening, a friend and I canceled our vacation plans (“money back if you decide today”). It was a hard decision, we would have preferred to have more time.
On Wednesday, the government announced that “schools will close next Wednesday”.
On Thursday they made clear that students who staid home earlier would not get into trouble for it, and on Friday they announced that all non-essential shops (except for food, pharmacies, pet shops, banks and post offices, basically) would have to close next week, and that restaurants and bars would have to close by 3PM.
My company had us take our work PCs home on Friday, and on Saturday, the government announced that all restaurants would close, all schools closed on Monday, and went on to announce a general curfew, which passed through both chambers of parliament and got the president’s signature today.

Once things start moving, they can move very quickly, but it’s easier for people accept if it’s spread out across a few days.

16 Likes

That’s in Oregon, a quick check is how the station’s call letters start with K and not W

13 Likes

We are in a very privileged position where her business is essentially how we fund our extras, travel, tuition, etc. We can do fine off my income, which is in no danger of going away. Most do not have that privilege.

25 Likes

sounds legit

13 Likes

True. I’m in a fortunate position, too, although this will cost me financially as well (making hard choices now to ensure the cost won’t be ruinous). But I can’t help thinking about what will happen to all the people out there living paycheck to paycheck – especially the people who I encounter at checkout lines and supermarkets and such on a daily basis.

ETA:

18 Likes

Unless you get sick. Take care of yourself, @docosc

13 Likes

Uh huh. From The Daily Caller, no less.

A pox on your “A pox on both their houses!”

11 Likes

I dont think anybody, regardless of political afiliation, should be getting in the way of getting ahead of this effort.

And was adding the snopes take to the article @ficuswhisperer posted above.

In our area, someone just started a Facebook community (is that the right term? I don’t Facebook and really have no idea how it works, but my wife keeps up with it) to help people get help with problems caused by covid or quarantine. This is possiblya good idea since the gov’t is leaving us to the wolves.

20 Likes

Well, the job is not going away…

15 Likes

Misread that as leading and still agreed…

13 Likes

In florida this is very common after hurricanes. Community groups step up en masse and fill in the gaps. I have found that in crisis such as these the good come out of the woodwork and it is amazing.

4 Likes

The problem is that Zuckerberg is one of the wolves: the kind who runs a social network filled to the brim with disinformation and unfounded rumours and convinces people it’s a responsible community group.

13 Likes

Thread about that thread:

18 Likes