Ongoing coronavirus happenings

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/15/uk-covid-19-strategy-questions-unanswered-coronavirus-outbreak

11 Likes

Went for a walk around the block. It seems that, while it’s not like 2:00 AM during a snowfall, it’s still noticeably quieter than normal. No cars passed by, though I could see activity on the main road a couple of blocks to the west.

13 Likes

I may have to make the trek to find TP tomorrow… wish me luck

15 Likes

Thread:

11 Likes

Inconceivable.

23 Likes

You might want to get some perspective, then. Look up how things are in the more heavily affected areas, never mind the quarantine in Italy. (I have relatives living there, and it’s absolutely no joking matter.) Also, I appreciate your FYI, but I do happen to know what a bidet is. What you don’t seem to realize is that not only not everyone has a bidet, not everyone has an option to use an “indoor hose” on the toilet either.

Sorry for the tone but I don’t think this is a time for mocking people for being anxious or afraid. Just generally - empathy is a nice thing to have.

17 Likes
23 Likes

Be prepared: while most people will behave decently, you’re also going to see a greater than normal occurence of opportunistic, irresponsible and generally crappy behaviour like this over the coming weeks. As if the situation isn’t lousy enough as it is.

We need to call out and slap down this behaviour wherever we are.

Libertarians will disagree to an extent, and at its extremes Ayn Rand built a whole ideological cult based on the premise that a lack of empathy for our fellow humans is a good thing.

Don’t apologise for your tone. It’s letting sociopaths and bullies and their admirers set the tone for discourse during a crisis that will make things worse, so it’s important we push back when confronted with rhetoric that supports their view.

24 Likes
15 Likes

Have they been doing anything? As far as I can tell from the Norwegian papers, Finland has been in a state of denial. (Of course, so was Norway until a week ago.) I found this at thl.fi (via google translate, despite years in the Finnish-speaking part of Minnesota I speak none):

• Hospitals in Finland are well prepared to research and treat coronavirus infections under isolation conditions.
  • No direct conclusions can be drawn from epidemic situations in other countries to the situation in Finland or its development.

That seems bizarrely optimistic.

7 Likes

This is a very very good start, but way late.

Have I mentioned that my lovely wife is a baker, specializing in wedding cakes? Especially big, beautiful, over the top wedding cakes? (Seriously, her work has graced the cover of magazines like American Cake Decorator. She’s good. I married rather better than she did!)

31 Likes

We have a thread for that:

23 Likes
25 Likes

Google apologizes for not knowing what the hell Trump was babbling about.

16 Likes
34 Likes

Anyone else wonder how long Trump is going to put up with Dr. Anthony Fauci? He keeps undercutting the “dont worry, be happy” storyline by actually telling the truth. Trump tends to not tolerate that well.

29 Likes

OITNB-alex-kidding-me|nullxnull

21 Likes

I think we’re already at the point where most people are looking at sources outside of the federal government for guidance. Certainly out here on the West Coast, we know we’re on our own.

22 Likes

True. The schools and theme parks and sports and entertainment venues should have been closed at least a week ago, and ideally longer.

I hope the weddings will end up being postponed, and that she’ll bounce back. But a 2-month hit on a small business’s cash flow is definitely something to worry about. In my own life, there’s now a good chance that a close relative’s business is going to go under because of COVID-19 after he’s spent nearly 20 years keeping it afloat, and another relative told me that clients are backing out of deals that so far amount to 1/5 of his annual income.

The sense I get is that adults in the room, such as they are, told him that he either lets experts like Fauci talk without contradicting them or they’re going to quit en masse. They’re also probably pulling some sort of reverse psychology working with his narcissistic behaviours to make him think that the experts are following his lead. But that only gets them so far as things get more stressful. So, yeah, the clock is ticking.

28 Likes

From the numbers I have, it looks like the epidemic in Hungary is a week or more behind Austria (assuming you don’t use American-style testing methods…), so while your government probably should have acted earlier, you’re not worse off than other European countries.

In Austria we went from “government tells us all to wash our hands” to “no public gatherings beyond 100 people indoors and 500 people outdoors, university lectures canceled” on Tuesday.
On Tuesday evening, a friend and I canceled our vacation plans (“money back if you decide today”). It was a hard decision, we would have preferred to have more time.
On Wednesday, the government announced that “schools will close next Wednesday”.
On Thursday they made clear that students who staid home earlier would not get into trouble for it, and on Friday they announced that all non-essential shops (except for food, pharmacies, pet shops, banks and post offices, basically) would have to close next week, and that restaurants and bars would have to close by 3PM.
My company had us take our work PCs home on Friday, and on Saturday, the government announced that all restaurants would close, all schools closed on Monday, and went on to announce a general curfew, which passed through both chambers of parliament and got the president’s signature today.

Once things start moving, they can move very quickly, but it’s easier for people accept if it’s spread out across a few days.

16 Likes