Ongoing coronavirus happenings

This is interesting: how South Korea, a democracy, is battling Coronavirus without China’s repressive lockdown - they’re doing it by mass testing (paywall)

23 Likes

In response to:

Given that he literally wrote the book, it might be worth listening to Johnson? I mean it’s thanks to that outbreak that we do understand these things, so let’s not let those deaths have been for nothing. They died through ignorance. In our case a lot will die from stupidity and arrogance.

14 Likes

"Chef Jose Andres, known for his crisis-response nonprofit World Central Kitchen and his numerous restaurants around the D.C. area including Jaleo, Oyamel and Zaytinya, said he would be closing his local outlets “until further notice,” noting that some locations will become “community kitchens” that will prepare food for those unable feed themselves. He also advised bars and restaurants around the country to close temporarily, “as painful as it is.”

People of America … Important News: All my restaurants in DC area are closed until further notice. Here at @ThinkFoodGroup safety of employees & guests is too priority. Some restaurants will transform into Community Kitchens to offer to-go lunches for those who need a meal. (1/4) pic.twitter.com/3HTyT607ZI

— José Andrés (@chefjoseandres) March 15, 2020

Oyamel is one of my favs … :cry:

19 Likes
10 Likes

We’re going to see big numbers. Yuge. Let’s see what happens.
:disappointed_relieved:

6 Likes

But we know, of the two parties involved, only one of them is obsessed with withholding lifesaving medical procedures (like abortions) from people in order to keep them from having an abortion.

25 Likes
14 Likes

WTF does abortion have to do with covid? I hit the roof when I saw this (Thurs? Fri? It all runs together.) And just did so again. Assholes.

24 Likes

@smulder is this your Portland or the other Portland?

17 Likes

Apparently, they were worried that some of the emergency relief money for health care might somehow be used for abortion. Even though it was earmarked for COVID-19 testing and treatment, somehow that was what came to mind.

Hey, when you’re anti-science, go ALL THE WAY.

28 Likes

Meanwhile, I am worried somehow this will be diverted to the wall, under “emergency powers.” Which do you suppose is more likely?

21 Likes

No surprise, the market hates the rate change.

15 Likes

Just got a text from T-Mobile: they’ve turned off data caps until May 13.

15 Likes

They know it’s more trump BS.

Stocks will rise when he actually does something to fight the pandemic.

Corporations getting more rich doesn’t help to save lives.

14 Likes

does help corporations get more rich, so there’s that :woman_shrugging:t3:

Fuck.

13 Likes

Just to be clear, we knew this was coming years ago. No significant effort to avoid it, and such efforts as were undertaken were the very first things Trump did away with. We are quite literally on our own.

26 Likes

Half of DC operations plus some.

16 Likes
19 Likes
22 Likes

This is one of my fears. Not that I won’t have the money, but what happens when I can’t leave my apartment to go pay the rent? I am not in Quebec, but I don’t know if my province plans to set up rules around it, either.

This is fucking garbage.

28 Likes