Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Tricky. The paper is not so much very technical, but highly contextual, in a field that very much isn’t mine.
I think the best way to give some sort of summary is to quote from the two DW articles, which are based on interviews with Janssen and Marckmann.

Note: the paper isn’t final. The authors explicitly ask for comments and input.

The main points are:

• Decisions about who gets treatment must be medically justified and fair. Transparency and earning the trust of the population are crucial.

• A patient’s chances of surviving intensive care treatment should be the main factor guiding doctors’ actions.

• A team of three experts with different medical backgrounds should make the final life or death decision.

• The severity of the coronavirus infection, secondary illnesses, and the patient’s will should all be considered, but age and social status should not come into play.

• I"t’s also important to define which criteria should not play a role: marital status, social status, cultural background. No one is privileged or disadvantaged from the start – that’s decided according to medical and ethical criteria."

Link to paper:
https://www.divi.de/empfehlungen/publikationen/covid-19/1540-covid-19-ethik-empfehlung-v2

The link might not work later due to revisions, so here is a link to the page with the link.
If that doesnt work, go to the DIVI main page and click through.

ETA: I’ll keep an eye on this and post an update when there is something new.

15 Likes