Ongoing coronavirus happenings

What will happen during curfew to the homeless that have nowhere to go?

And yet finding $1B to get enough ventilators is a problem. It shows what their priorities are.

14 Likes

5 Likes

Good question. It says that it won’t be enforced against the homeless, although in practice it’s hard to know. Also, according to the article, so many things are exempt from the curfew that it basically says it’s the same as daytime, except that cops can check and ask whether you’re doing an essential activity. It’s like daytime, except with consequences that are subject to police discretion and judgment. It gives me a bad feeling.

12 Likes

Very much this. I tried to suggest trusted authorities (like the WHO and RKI, and you can add the Institute Pasteur and others to this), and I forgot how privileged that is. In many, many countries, no official “authority” has any credibility at all.

Sorry about that. But to save a bit of what I wrote: that’s why I suggested to use your brain.

You did, a d corrected my mistake. Thank you.

Maybe we need a list of trustworthy sources, but then, crowdsourcing this is prone to discussions of the otherworldly kind. Like you describe.
My own brother falls into the very same category. This is very, very difficult for me.

5 Likes

The suggestions are linked, but it’s of course in German.

3 Likes
10 Likes

The Premier League is still running, in theory, as are the EFL and National League. This is all the non-league* teams having their season cancelled at a point when promotion had already been won (Jersey Bulls and Vauxhall Motors) or was a formality (too many teams to mention).

There is currently no solution for who gets to fill the gap left in the EFL by Bury, which will go all the way down to the North West Counties League where Bury’s phoenix club will play next season.

These are all minor problems, but they still affect peoples lives. I still think it would be better to cancel a season that hasn’t happened than one that is over three quarters finished.

* non-league in this context means not a member of the EFL or Premier League, who were originally The Football League

4 Likes
13 Likes

No love lost between the various Scandinavian countries, eh?

The oil money has been rapidly disappearing the last few weeks.

I didn’t say it didn’t exist, only that it wasn’t legal. Now that Norwegians can’t drive to Sweden to buy the alcohol cheap (because the borders are closed) they might hasve to ramp up production.

4 Likes

No time even to read this, can you look at the pdf and compare reporting? Would love to do, but alas!

No idea I rarely travel to Scandinavia. Actually I was supposed to travel to Stockholm today. On the positive side I don’t drink and suffer from seasickness.

1 Like

I think I found out why I thought that it was. It’s a comics magazine called Pyton from Norway it had this strip called Helliter’n og Halvliter’n in it they made that claim
 I was round10 years old when I read it. Way too young.

3 Likes
24 Likes
18 Likes
14 Likes
12 Likes

Tricky. The paper is not so much very technical, but highly contextual, in a field that very much isn’t mine.
I think the best way to give some sort of summary is to quote from the two DW articles, which are based on interviews with Janssen and Marckmann.

Note: the paper isn’t final. The authors explicitly ask for comments and input.

The main points are:

• Decisions about who gets treatment must be medically justified and fair. Transparency and earning the trust of the population are crucial.

• A patient’s chances of surviving intensive care treatment should be the main factor guiding doctors’ actions.

• A team of three experts with different medical backgrounds should make the final life or death decision.

• The severity of the coronavirus infection, secondary illnesses, and the patient’s will should all be considered, but age and social status should not come into play.

• I"t’s also important to define which criteria should not play a role: marital status, social status, cultural background. No one is privileged or disadvantaged from the start – that’s decided according to medical and ethical criteria."

Link to paper:
https://www.divi.de/empfehlungen/publikationen/covid-19/1540-covid-19-ethik-empfehlung-v2

The link might not work later due to revisions, so here is a link to the page with the link.
If that doesnt work, go to the DIVI main page and click through.

ETA: I’ll keep an eye on this and post an update when there is something new.

15 Likes

“ Our analysis therefore suggests that healthcare demand can only be kept within manageable levels through the rapid adoption of public health measures (including testing and isolation of cases and wider social distancing measures) to suppress transmission, similar to those being adopted in many countries at the current time. If a suppression strategy is implemented early (at 0.2 deaths per 100,000 population per week) and sustained, then 38.7 million lives could be saved whilst if it is initiated when death numbers are higher (1.6 deaths per 100,000 population per week) then 30.7 million lives could be saved. Delays in implementing strategies to suppress transmission will lead to worse outcomes and fewer lives saved”

11 Likes
9 Likes

36 Likes