Ongoing coronavirus happenings

13 Likes

Dr. Fauci may not be on Trump’s team much longer. Given Fauci’s impressive bona fides, gravitas, integrity, and now established “celebrity”, I’d think he would make a great public communications go-to for the media, and OUTSIDE of the administration; he wouldn’t have to tiptoe through the administration’s press briefings.

WaPo: As Trump signals readiness to break with experts, his online base assails Fauci

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/as-trump-signals-readiness-to-break-with-experts-his-online-base-assails-fauci/ar-BB11LjWL?ocid=spartandhp

17 Likes
13 Likes

Rhode Island Police to Hunt Down New Yorkers Seeking Refuge

By

Prashant Gopal

and

Brian K Sullivan

March 27, 2020, 5:14 PM EDT

• Cars stopped, homes to be checked to enforce quarantines

• Officers halt cars on the interstate to start the crackdown

13 Likes

Rupert Murdoch is competent. The Kochs are competent. Putin is competent. The GOP are almost universally fuckninnies that the media won’t let fail.

16 Likes
17 Likes
17 Likes

Yup. That’s what we were talking about above. It’s straight up eugenics. It’s sick.

18 Likes

hand sanitizer is awfully flammable.

5 Likes
26 Likes

I wonder if this was before or after Kushner crowdsourced response ideas on Facebook:

9 Likes

So it happened. Uusimaa is now isolated from the rest of Finland.

Hundreds police and conscripts guard the boarder of Uusimaa on 30 checkpoints.

Some pics and maybe video:

The idiots that went to their summer cabins want people to be happy that they came over.

21 Likes
22 Likes
20 Likes
15 Likes

The curfew will start at 10 p.m. tonight. Daily, the curfew will be between the hours of 10 p.m. until 5 a.m. The nightly curfew will be in place indefinitely. It is punishable by a misdemeanor and violators can receive up to $500 in fines and/or up to 180 days in municipal jail. Officers will be paroling and enforcing the curfew.

6 Likes

First of all, yes, use your own brain by all means. The government might not know what’s best. Depending on where you live, this might go so far as them denying the epidemic, or, swinging the other way, it might hurt people’s rights in overreacting with irrational measures, or in discriminating certain groups, or in pursuing own interests while enacting and using those sweet emergency powers.

But then, in some cases, not trusting the authorities at all might make it harder for some people to get through this, or it might even endanger others. And that’s not only anti-vaxxers and conspiracy nuts. A good friend of mine says he “doesn’t believe in numbers” and still thinks this were some sort of mass hysteria. He’s not a conspiracy nut, rather someone who believes that nobody has the right to up-end his life for something he can not even see - yet.

It’s really a problem that always exists, outside of a pandemic, just now the stakes have become higher. And like outside of a pandemic, I’m at a bit of a loss to how to deal with it. There’s probably no simple solution. All we can really do, I think, is to act to the best of our knowledge and belief, and put the official measures to a reality check - not blindly trusting them, and raising our voices when there is something fishy going on - but not defaulting to be antagonistic to them, either.

6 Likes

‘Cottagers, stay away’

German law (did before the virus) require everybody to register their residence(s) with the state, and designate a primary residence. In northern Germany, last week, officials of some counties forced owners of country homes to leave
 until the state government stepped in and clarified that everybody who is already there, can stay, but new arrivals are forbidden. src (German)

8 Likes

Funny thing I could have sworn that I have heard that moonshine was legal in Norway. They stopped burning churches so all that’s left is that they eat cod and buy Teslas with their oil money.

I guess I’m mixing up things. They used to smuggle a lot of moonshine from Norway to Finland and Sweden 60 years ago. They made it because of high price of legal booze.

2 Likes