Ongoing coronavirus happenings

The local news are obsessed with showing empty grocery store shelves, but I haven’t seen anyone talk with the local hospitals to see what their ICU admissions and capacities are.

With hardly anyone getting tested, knowing how many “positives” there are is not as important a metric as knowing ICU availability, it seems to me.

Not unexpected for local news, I guess, but still maddening.

16 Likes

Maybe hospital staff are really busy?
Maybe hospital spokespeople are really busy?
Maybe the HIPAA rules limit disclosures re patients?
Maybe hospital legal has mandated all hospital staff refrain from talking to media?
Maybe various government officials have explained in no uncertain terms to hospital admins that no one shall fan the flames of the abundant COVID19 hysteria already in progress by talking to media?
Maybe local news crews themselves are hesitant to enter various bio hotzones?

9 Likes

Here’s a light-hearted break for everyone.

Shedd Aquarium in Chicago is taking advantage of having to be closed to human beings by letting the penguins explore to their hearts’ content:

31 Likes

And a compilation of some freebies:

16 Likes

It’s the right thing to do, I’m sure, but it’s also the death of a large number of the non-profit performing arts organizations I work around. As a medium sized organization with a larger organization behind it we might have some padding, but we’ve been struggling to deal with large deficits left by our last director, so nothing is certain.

12 Likes
13 Likes
14 Likes
14 Likes

Howard Tayler, author of the web comic Schock Mercenary finally checked in. His last blog post under the comic had been a month ago, after recovering from something nasty.

7 Likes
28 Likes

While looking at the numbers, I realized that this thing spreads faster than The Thing

12 Likes

JFC, Disney

19 Likes

That tweet’s now unavailable.

4 Likes

Down the 'ol memory hole

7 Likes

If anybody else is able and is willing to help, you can join me donating to José Andrés’s World Central Kitchen at: https://wck.org/

10 Likes
12 Likes

9 Likes

This seems to be their third attempt to simply be rid of us. Each one a little more successful than the last…

9 Likes

I’m planning on going over and buying a bottle of booze from them.

Watch the trial balloon in Israel right now.

3 Likes