Ongoing coronavirus happenings

You can hardly be blamed for approaching your limits.

11 Likes

Headlines youā€™d like to see:

US to close White House to non-essential presidents

24 Likes

And it used to be made with recycled paper.

2 Likes

Words fail me.

5 Likes

Sorry ā€“ catching up on this thread from yesterday evening. So much to go through. Sorry if Iā€™m duplicating any previous replies.

Isnā€™t a botched laryngoscopy basically what caused the conditions that led to Joan Riversā€™ death?

Hopefully this just means less profit for Uber rather than less money for drivers. (I donā€™t claim to understand their business model :confused: )

Thank fuck someone held that prick Musk to task.

Holy fuck.

Arousal = awaken in the clinical sense (as someone that has had multiple sleep studies, this is a piece of terminology Iā€™m very familiar with)

Itā€™s just more fucking political calculus. Get blamed for not getting important legislation in the bill, or get blamed for stalling the bill. Itā€™s a no-win situation.

Fuck that noise. They donā€™t just collect your information, they just broadcast it to your entire community.

I love the irony of ā€œgiving Americans real informationā€ while not even being willing to use the proper name of the virus or disease.

12 Likes

And yet, never quite reaching them. So frustrating!

11 Likes

Not COVID-19 but anecdote: I work in translation&localization. A while ago we localized a bunch of informational videos for a client - they were for a US-based enterprise VoIP service, and the videos were basically short introductions and guides to the various functions of the service and related hardware (that is, the phones themselves), the former targeting the potential customerā€™s decision makers.

One of the videos started with this little intro, and Iā€™m not making this up (but Iā€™m paraphrasing just to be safe), and note that this product is trying to address very large businesses/corporations, not small ones: ā€œIn a globalized world making phone calls to other countries is becoming increasingly common.ā€

I facepalmed for a while (they seriously expected this to go down well in European countriesā€¦ :smiley: ) but I suppose it makes sense: the US is so huge and in many ways self-contained that I imagine there are high-level managers even in large corporations who rarely ever need to talk to anyone not in the US.

16 Likes

This is gonna hurt

13 Likes

TBC, ventilation by windows is good, but getting not infected while living together is near to impossible, I would bet.

So rather get someone else to take care of your mom, if you want to protect her.

Also, the risk for your kid to have been infected is not that high. In all earnestness, sitting in a room with someone infectious talking to you directly, face to face, for 15 minutes carries a risk of about 5% of infection. Droplets are the usual mode of infection.
(Source: interview with Christian Drosten, head of the virology lab at CharitĆ©). Your kid was travelling, so they got into contact with many people, but probably wasnā€™t exposed directly, and very probably face-to-face.

If you want to worry, worry about your external contacts. My advice would be: donā€™t waste your energy on santitizing everything, rather try not to infect anyone, just in case. In an enclosed space like yours, the best bet is to contain a possible infection. Break the chain.

Not like this:

More like:

11 Likes

when all we have is a hammer, everything looks like a ā€¦

wait, letā€™s start over

we have too many cops and not enough doctors

11 Likes

And too many cameras, not enough food :musical_note:

9 Likes

IF WE CANā€™T FIX THIS PROBLEM AT LEAST WE CAN ESTABLISH MARTIAL LAW

9 Likes

The general scratches his belly and thinksā€¦ :musical_note:

5 Likes

???

The video isnā€™t that long.

1 Like

Oh, they finally trimmed off all of the dead air time at the start of the video while they were waiting (for over an hour!) for the press conference to start. Iā€™ll update the time code in my post.

5 Likes

So, not like this either?

1 Like

So theyā€™re planning more restrictions for London on Friday. Perhaps theyā€™ll just force the closure of all bars cafes and restaurants. Perhaps theyā€™ll close the tube. Perhaps just at night. Interesting to see where this goes. How long until weā€™re only allowed out to buy food?

3 Likes

Once again Trump knows more than the experts, as always.

10 Likes
25 Likes

ā€œKung-Fluā€. Classy.

12 Likes