Ongoing coronavirus happenings

The most cynical generation ever might be the one best equipped to survive this craziness? Color me shocked…

12 Likes

Widescreen?

Hahahahahhshshsjsjd.

You made me laugh in a day of bad news!

3 Likes

This study says below. But - when I looked this med up when I took it for malaria- it has something like a 30 day half life? You don’t take it for more than a few days or your levels are through the roof.

https://watermark.silverchair.com/ciaa237.pdf?token=AQECAHi208BE49Ooan9kkhW_Ercy7Dm3ZL_9Cf3qfKAc485ysgAAAmowggJmBgkqhkiG9w0BBwagggJXMIICUwIBADCCAkwGCSqGSIb3DQEHATAeBglghkgBZQMEAS4wEQQMzzVsgLvP8sl_N43NAgEQgIICHUISV8gxAOh8MXQ7tS0a0ssnLXPNMJLeo6Iy8Iq-1FxpIJWAsYzMYc1pgpFJBpM0FU9-F1CALGygcSkvW32J5G4cEls-n3-CrUw7Be9mMSsmnck3svFW10iYxngDJh99W3tUnDOuFG9FBlrlI4q0KjDjwRRD9p0ss6nvIZFBjvAt_M0ieIDl8JcxgsJSQbRpEoAIC_u_RRjwThtOde33FRhNc7cmheYjUJhgftCsJc1J-csJy4MxFbjYShs2tzZOEw0knTAoQdDdmTugnB-ZlThhtf316aSyV9znUseBB1CN1Pi2VwVigCSYmffvGWpHYqbIKzPW81TA4GbiHMxxoF5-2NWHtDhyxWOsqmdXYuFFe_LTdGw2bP_xJS_oIflm1HzZaxjVEXBIc3ncynyg5TypFIZT6AXEKOPM25TgjTB035VKqSmNmlsau6tHx0Dx7Ts1rzoK_bDoekjq127L5dGlrMjMj4WaFSiMkb5DDWCiMSgplxtcYt-OiKSrhTYVa7ID1AGHLnTdKmpsNN09jy8c6Fdh6nkOQD_BMhhT5_RFzHaKYvQZmHnKQzHfr7PVcFU88NV5IYyr4t41NZ-ityGkwvV1XvbgEEleeCz-qh8Oyj0tOA-tymK0J4G70FqEbCN-gJCSaa5dws-ua8Vk0yZ9gYhjIC2NU1C_ZxoCdvjnHHrJY_3CrVvN77RtLJajk8ukTPdQ13rjJnTCNTw

“ Results. Hydroxychloroquine (EC50=0.72 μM) was found to be more potent than chloroquine (EC50=5.47 μM) in vitro. Based on PBPK models results, a loading dose of 400 mg twice daily of hydroxychloroquine sulfate given orally, followed by a maintenance dose of 200 mg given twice daily for 4 days is recommended for SARS-CoV-2 infection, as it reached three times the potency of chloroquine phosphate when given 500 mg twice daily 5 days in advance”

4 Likes

Does it have bad side effects? A twitter user said she have to test her eyes because she has thus drug to treat her lupus.

2 Likes

Trump wants something that he can throw out right now, and who cares if it turns out to be ineffective. He’ll still take credit for everyone that gets better (i.e. lives), and the ones that died were probably nasty people, or so he heard.

10 Likes

Every drug can have bad side effects.

Depends especially on the individual- I know that this one can trigger someone’s psoriasis. The google can give a full list.

4 Likes

This drug developed in japan sounds promising: patients treated turned negative for Coronavirus in 4 days, versus 11 days for untreated patients

7 Likes

Chloroquine (for malaria) is dosed 1 time per week for prophylaxis because it has a long half life. Hydroxychloroquine likewise. For treatment, the dosing is much higher and remains pretty safe. There are side effects, as with everything, but they are well understood and for most patients pretty manageable. I make it a policy to not base treatment strategies on a single paper. That said, unlike the newer drugs being studied, these have a long track record and are very well known, as well as inexpensive and readily available. I would certainly be willing to use it off-label after consultation with parents / patients, but stand by my statement that more study is needed. I am concerned that what will happen is a drug company will make some small twist and turn the cheap generic drug into an insanely expensive branded corona-specific drug. Would not be the the first time. (See ketamine)

21 Likes

Just because, I signed in to my Nextdoor account. There are multiple posts and info boxes about the "Help Map’, where neighbors who can help can sign in & see who needs help. After 2 days up, there are no posts on the map.
So their Help Map doesn’t help anyone.

5 Likes

Never!

Last month you could order 100 for like $50 bucks. Next week?

Interesting article about a town in Italy … basically thorough testing and contact tracing can solve this

19 Likes

Trump loves to trumpet that he’s a wartime president, but seems really reluctant to use his wartime powers.

Roosevelt made every American automaker retool for war production almost overnight. Surely Trump could make manufacturers work on producing masks, and other PPEs. We’re still a massive cotton producer.

16 Likes

Because for decades he was the only national level office-holding politician who was consistently against USian Worldwide Forever-war and one of the few who consistently gave a shat about deficits.

So, I have been largely incommunicado today as we made fairly huge changes at my office, which might be an idea worth duplicating, if any of you have input to pediatric practices in your areas. We have the privilege of having 2 physical locations, about 10 minutes apart. We have set up our main, larger office as a sick only office, and split that into respiratory illnesses on one side, all other illnesses on the other. The other office will be devoted to well child care, with a gatekeeper guarding the door, screening all who enter with temps and questions, including parents, siblings, vendors, whoever. Additionally we are now requiring all staff to arrive in street clothes, change into scrubs and work shoes at the office and change back before going home to protect our families and community from whatever we come into contact with. This is a huge logistical effort, and an inconvenience for our patients, but so far we have only gotten positive feedback. It is very real. And in Harrisonburg we are treating it as such.

36 Likes

Just noticed this:

https://bbs.boingboing.net/badges/117/the-doctor-is-in

:100:

29 Likes

For any who are competent with a sewing machine and looking to contribute, since Trump says that he “is not a shipping clerk.”

Embedded video with instructions. My ex is currently using a home made mask made from a t-shirt while working the ER in our local hospital. :angry:

20 Likes

As someone pointed out, anyone with experience making lingerie might be a good source of advice. Especially anything that needs to stick close to the skin and mould.

Wearing underpants on your head may become the smart move.

12 Likes

Or just wear them normally. While dancing the Evil Virus spirits away.

underwear-dance

16 Likes

windows only, and I haven’t actually used this particular library, but I think there are mask patterns.

http://www.wildginger.com/icare/

6 Likes
26 Likes