Ongoing coronavirus happenings

I leave it to our med professionals to interpret- but it seems that the vision side effects are rare- and mostly occur at high doses over a longer period of use. The treatment recommended in the previous study for CoVid-19 was not at that dose - and over only five days; if memory serves.

11 Likes
13 Likes

“ The study found that men are more likely to die of the virus, with a fatality rate of 2.8% compared to 1.7% for women. Men also represented a slight majority of cases: around 51%.“

11 Likes

Argh!

11 Likes
29 Likes
21 Likes

https://www.entuk.org/loss-sense-smell-marker-covid-19-infection

Can’t comment on the validity, since AFAIK the virus is not replicating in the nasal cavities, but usually first in the throat and later in the lung.

With any kind of cold symptoms, including a running nose (which is not related to Covid-19 usually), a sore throat, a slight cough, and so on: please stay at home.

7 Likes

Biologically effective, but still suffers from the nooks and crannies problem. So long as your device is fairly planar as most smart phones are these days, it should work. Again, what it will do to the plastics in your device is way not my area.

11 Likes

Please see my post above about the chloroquine study.

It’s not as promising as it seems, based on the study design.

8 Likes

Cross-linking this here:

8 Likes

Republican rule, money incentives rich people, but disincentivizes poor people. It’s like, carved in a stone on Reagan’s grave or something. That’s why we need to take it away from poor people and give it to rich people. It is all very logical

19 Likes

No, I say give it to them free!

12 Likes

In an ICU you will hit 7 digits in the first week. The cost of medical care is insane.

25 Likes
17 Likes

I am seeing a surge in kids with fever, cough and wicked conjunctivitis. Here they are still largely requiring international travel before you can get a test (not evil, just incredible lack of testing supplies.) I am very concerned we are seeing large amounts of community spread and not recognizing it.

26 Likes

Someone needs to recognize these folks as the hero’s they are.

23 Likes

An immunosuppressant? Wha?

4 Likes

Young people in India are having a very difficult time trying to get their older relatives to stop spreading folk cures and rumors about the virus online

11 Likes

Chloroquine is generally a very safe drug. Bigger issue is a tendency to cause a prolongation of the QT interval, which can cause arrhythmias. As I said earlier, the drug has a long track record and is very well understood. My issue is does it do any good? (A saying in medicine is "the pleural of anecdote is not data.) Best I have seen is a shortening of the duration, but have not seen anything regarding change in outcome, and most especially it has not been tested as prophylaxis at all. More data needed!

15 Likes

Reduce the problem to an easier one: How do you keep a Ziploc bag clean?

The touchscreen still works, and it shouldn’t muffle the speaker and mic too much.

18 Likes