Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Which may or may not be related, but another data point.

4 Likes

Trump is following the credo of never letting a crisis go to waste, Revoking their tribal status and taking their lands out of trust in the middle of this crisis.

22 Likes

Polluters get a free pass during the epidemic, while native populations have to fight for their land. Entirely on brand for this administration.

21 Likes

I wish. Often Finnish characters in tv shows and movies have swedish accents (Iā€™m not sure what that accent in Fleabag was) and we get called Scandinavians all the fucking time.

16 Likes

JFC

23 Likes

Just like the latino labelā€¦

5 Likes

Irish Twitter tracking planes as they go and come from China with vital safety gear feels like a mood change that may prefigure a change in the orientation of the world.

17 Likes

40 Likes

Interesting. What kind of mood change? Are Irish people made to feel even more Sinophobic by it, or the opposite? (Iā€™m hoping the latter, of course.)

10 Likes
5 Likes

I just mean that the world is looking to China for leadership rather than the US. I dont mean this is good, but right now it makes sense.

Itā€™s fucking tragic that people are tracking planes to keep our health workers safe and looking for deliverance though.

16 Likes

Thank you for explaining. Yes, the U.S. has fucked up its response to this crisis so royally (as we rather oddly put it here) that I canā€™t see its reputation recovering for perhaps decades.

Not that it hasnā€™t already been declining for decades.

16 Likes

I think the entire West fucked it up.

We should have trusted the expertise of Asian countries with experience of SARS and h1n1. We didnā€™t because the capitalist competition governments we have are not intellectually capable of behaving that way.

And racism.

28 Likes

11th-doc-this|nullxnull

24 Likes

The Conservatives have been all over Trudeau the last few days for donating PPE to China back when they needed it, because we need it now.

https://www.voiceonline.com/scheer-slams-trudeau-for-sending-personal-protective-equipment-overseas-during-covid-19-outbreak/

So nowā€¦

21 Likes

We didnā€™t because the capitalist competition governments we have are not intellectually capable of behaving that way.

And racism.

And the idea of individual freedom>greater collective good.
I remembering feeling a little aghast the day china rolled out the portable speakers telling people to stay in their homes. In retrospect thatā€™s a good way stop a fist moving virus.

10 Likes

Heā€™s gotta dock that thing sooner or later, and he may not find the land-lovers to be very ā€˜hospitableā€™ when he does.

18 Likes

What I want to know is what poor sap was tasked with taking those photos? Thereā€™s at least one helicopter/drone shot, and one from a beach.

(Assuming they werenā€™t from the vault.)

9 Likes

Fox News: ā€œAt least he didnā€™t call up the Philly Phanatic for advice.ā€

11 Likes

The better question is why A-Rod bothered to take the call.

O_o

19 Likes