Ongoing coronavirus happenings

no mas, por favor

10 Likes

There are actually 4ā…“ weeks in a month, but we canā€™t expect legislators to do ā€¦ grade school math

12 Likes

Iā€™m sure they figured the extra $40 would cover that. Assholes.

18 Likes

Thereā€™s nothing magical about a screenshot.

9 Likes

I never said there is something magical about a screeenshot.

6 Likes

I hope they can ramp up that rate. It sounds like a lot, but not really.

11 Likes

If the numbers keep going the way they have been, there will be a 9/11 every day ā€¦ next weekend

16 Likes

Do you see anything slowing this train down? I certainly do not. The mathematical precision of this bastard is impressive. In the way the physics of a nuclear blast are impressive. In theory, and from a very long distance. Unfortunately, neither apply.

21 Likes

Anybody wanna know when there will be a 9/11 every hour ?

11 Likes

For the love of god, no. Not sure I am ready to know that.

18 Likes

As an outsider looking in, I have a question about the American response to this thing.

Itā€™s well documented that the President hasnā€™t made a very good job of this. He seems to be doing a lot of talking and tweeting but not actually taking much action. But about two weeks ago he declared an emergency, didnā€™t he? And the point of that was to allow FEMA to spring into action.

So my question is, whereā€™s FEMA? Why is the President swanking about deciding which governors get ventilators, and ringing up Sports Personalities and all the other bullshit that heā€™s doing? Why is he involved at all?

Itā€™s also well documented what happened to the CDC, but is this not right in the FEMA wheelhouse?

17 Likes

A bunch of resentful, under-employed white boomers pining for dying industries in a couple of rust belt states decided that they wanted a has-been reality TV asshole for a president, because he promised to stick it to some people less fortunate than themselves. And they were able to rationalize it to themselves because all of the ā€œliberal mediaā€ decided that they would rather be in a professional-wrestling style entertainment business than be in a news industry that was going to require a yucky millennial to explain to them how intertubes work, and so they dragged out every megaphone they could provide for him.

Does that answer your question?

8 Likes

No.

I know all that. I know you would be better off with Cookie Monster for President.

My question was a serious one. Why is FEMA not managing this?

Is that not what FEMA is for? Do they not have trained personnel and equipment and logistics for this sort of thing?

11 Likes

Because Donald Trump is the President, and therefore the manager of FEMA. FEMA canā€™t say, ā€œDonald, go sit in the shed, weā€™re taking over now.ā€

Itā€™s also true that every part of our federal government, not just FEMA or the CDC (the IRS, the EPA, the United States Army, etc. etc.) are all demoralized and barely functioning shells, hollowed out and beaten down by the Bush administration (with no complaints from the press because BOOOORING and 911! 911! 911!), and not in any way, shape or form repaired by Obama, because it wouldnā€™t have been bi-partisany. But even if they were functional, Trump wouldnā€™t let them be. And he has the full support of the Republican Party in that.

15 Likes

FEMA:

FEMA is just as rotten as the rest of the mess.

17 Likes

Oh fuck.

7 Likes

Because the president did not activate them a while ago, as he should of. On top of that and like many other departments in the federal government, they have systematically starved of funding by republican administrations. Having trump as president has not helped, as heā€™s refused to do what other presidents might, which is have a pro-active response way back when cases were ramping up in China.

Yep.

21 Likes

Are you trying to tell me that Alex Jones lied about FEMAā€™s ability to build death camps and supply tens of thousands of coffins?

/s

18 Likes

Several of our regulatory agencies actually function as literal brothels for industry liaisons. This is alluded to in The Big Short, but also came out of investigations into the regulatory failings that resulted in the Deep Water Horizon disaster.

8 Likes

Thank you.

9 Likes