Ongoing coronavirus happenings

map

washingtonpost.com/world/2020/01/22/mapping-spread-new-coronavirus

8 Likes

This is from Friday. By Saturday there was 1, by Sunday 2. Of course there is no evidence of community spread. The testing rules specifically forbid testing for it! Shockingly, if we are not permitted to search for a thing, there is be no evidence of said thing existing.
This guy is of the prepper mindset, which I know is not always a good thing, but he absolutely nails the statistics (or cites other folks who do, anyway.) As I have said previously, the numbers speak for themselves.

14 Likes

Not recommended for those that may tend to obsess, but Johns Hopkins has a nice map on arcgis:
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

8 Likes

That looks like a very successful Plague Inc game. You even got Iceland! But this is real. Shit.

14 Likes

Iā€™m curious about Iceland, and if it had anything to do with one hop air travel between Europe and the Americas.

3 Likes

What do you want to bet that trumpā€™s CDC is withholding test kits from Blue states and sanctuary cities?

9 Likes

I suspect itā€™s just indicative of how tightly entwined and tiny the world actually is. Certain orange manbaby opinions aside, of course.

9 Likes

I like the WaPo map because itā€™s simple and easy to cut away from the surrounding text :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Greenland and Madagascar are the tricky ones.

7 Likes

Indeed good for a snapshot in time and place.

1 Like

yeah, thatā€™s it exactly.

a quick googling:

But how best to protect yourself from E coli? Wash your hands properly. ā€œWhen you wash your hands with soap, what the soap does is to detach the microbes from your hands, but the microbes remain aliveā€

whereas, like that chemistry professor @KathyPartdeux referenced ( that same info also in article form )

The soap molecules also compete with a lot other non-covalent bonds that help the proteins, RNA and the lipids to stick together. The soap is effectively ā€œdissolvingā€ the glue that holds the virus together.

and from a different source via webmd:

Coronaviruses are encased in a lipid envelope ā€“ basically, a layer of fat. Soap can break that fat apart and make the virus unable to infect you.

viruses and bacteria are just different beasts.

14 Likes

Looks like Madagascar shut down everything.

3 Likes

Yes, well, one hop air travel being part of that whole intertwined thing.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty interesting. It also suggests that bleach-based disinfectants, which are the first thing you reach for for bacteria, are maybe not so good with the coronavirus.

Iā€™m actually not sure itā€™s an argument against bleach. That slippery feeling when you get bleach on your skin, is the basic (bleach has a pH around 11) nature of it turning the oils on your skin into, soap.

Seems perfectly in line with breaking down lipids.

11 Likes
21 Likes

Is it bad to say I really wish he had self quarantined a long time ago?

20 Likes

Cue Trumpā€™s hateful ad hominem denunciation of Cruz via Twitter in 3, 2 . . .

20 Likes

Everyone else: Thank fuck. 14 days we donā€™t have to put up with him.

(Cruz is not beloved by his fellow senators or probably his staff).

20 Likes

Iā€™m betting heā€™ll be able to work from home, unfortunately.

7 Likes