Ongoing coronavirus happenings

This is so sad. I am not affraid, but I am very sad.

São Paulo, last april: 1,654 people were buried in the largest cemetery in Latin America. Photographer recorded graves opening on 1st of April and the graves almost completely occupied on 1st of May.

As G1 revealed, there was an 18% increase in the number of burials in April in the city. Compared to March, the number of burials in Vila Formosa increased by 50%.

22 Likes

I never said anything different.

I apologize for linking to the Post, I mainly read about Sweden in the local papers, but they’re in Norwegian so I only post links to them when I have no alternative.

2 Likes

Oh goody. Cities are starting to end mask-wearing guidelines in response to threats of violence against innocent store employees, who will now face increased risk of exposure.

16 Likes

at the store where i work, masks are required. and there are times when people are clearly unhappy.

yesterday, my co-worker had to explain that, yes, even a “quick trip” requires a mask. and, after handing that person a mask, had to run after them to explain they had to… you know… actually wear the mask.

we’ve only had a few – maybe three – incidents with visibly sick people who want to shop ( they’re not allowed to - we will shop for them if they call us ) or for people who don’t want to wear masks. no fights or anything, but people have been kicked out.

im still crossing my fingers that i don’t get sick from the person who had a coughing fit the day before we implemented mandatory masks. they were obviously ill, but nobody noticed until after they were in my line. :crying_cat_face:

somewhat off point… there are quite a few people wearing scarves as masks – or pulling up a turtleneck to cover their face. and probably an equal number who have masks slid down to only cover their mouth.

for some reason, that last one that bugs me most. you took the trouble to get and wear a mask, but for some reason you think germs don’t come out your nose. sigh

31 Likes

I hope you don’t get sick, either! I’m so sorry.

22 Likes

May I ask… in what city did this occur?

2 Likes

thanks @Mindysan33!

this is my second job, and i thought about staying home at the start of things to stay more safe. it just didn’t feel right to abandon my long time co-workers who don’t have that same flexibility.

i have instant access to food and toilet paper :wink:, paid-time off if it comes to it, decent co-workers… most of whom take things seriously ( except you chad* ahg! ), and some token hazard pay…

so things are okay so far.

it’s the systemic things in this country and this administration – both putting everyone at risk – that make me most worried and upset.

(*) not his real name. but it should be.

22 Likes

No… really?

16 Likes

I would expect more in a few days; opening up shouldn’t have an instant effect!

11 Likes

Dubya: ‘Can we all get along, love thy neighbor and support our medical professionals?’

Donnie: ‘No we can not. Go fuck off hippie.’

20 Likes

the only thing i can think is people breaking isolation in anticipation of the opening. [ well, that i guess, and the numbers simply continuing to climb on their own. ]

8 Likes
24 Likes
25 Likes

I hope Tasmania can stay at zero. :crossed_fingers:

22 Likes

Republican led senate asked for tests for ‘liberal hoax disease’ for returning senators before Yertle brings the senate back into session tomorrow.

(NYT reprint from Yahoo) https://www.yahoo.com/news/capitol-lacks-tests-returning-senators-155121388.html

14 Likes
15 Likes

This shows real promise, and would solve the issue of white supremacists claiming that their freedom is being impinged by the government (as they can choose to not test themselves):

10 Likes

OTOH, it is one economist recommending a plan created by another economist to a couple of experts in epidemiology. I would take it with a huge grain of salt.

4 Likes

Moreover, no one will eagerly enter into a restaurant, board an airplane, attend a university lecture, head to the mall, or go back to work unless they can see with their own two eyes that everyone they are encountering is sporting a green bracelet.

Um, I’m not eager about entering anywhere where people can’t be bothered with face masks, but I do anyway because I have to eat.

This is the exactly the sort of thing that might work in Sweden, but will never work here. We already have wildly less convoluted and straightforward rules, and there are threats of violence, which of course are being submitted to without question.

11 Likes
17 Likes