Ongoing coronavirus happenings

26 Likes
5 Likes

I smell an opportunity for a revival in a great British industry…

"Ah come in, Mr “Dobbin”, was it? Yes, we do have a state of the art medical facility here - all for treating ‘horses’ of course. And what seems to be the trouble? Ankle, err… I mean. …hock… hurting a bit is it? Yes, we’ll soon have that sorted. "

https://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/Doughnut_Jimmy

6 Likes

Let me tell you that our management consultants actually queried the necessity for us to employ a pantomime horse at all.

3 Likes

That has pretty much been the (unsupported) expectation, that children are not “less infected” but less symptomatic and, given typical preschool behavior, considerably more infectious. Yeah, reopening schools will more than likely lead to an explosive reemergence.

19 Likes

given typical preschool behavior, considerably more infectious

I’d be quite comfortable dropping “preschool” from that sentence. :thinking:

The new infection rate hockey-sticked down slightly in Ontario about 6 days after March break started. That’s just eyeballing it… I’m happy to leave the schools closed.

11 Likes

Harrisonburg VA. My adopted home.

8 Likes

We’re in the second week of elementary schools being open in Norway, so maybe we’ll see some numbers here. There are protocols in place to reduce infection (eg, kids being isolated into groups of 5), but kids are kids. For me this is better than when these same kids were running around the grocery stores.

8 Likes
22 Likes

https://www.fitchratings.com/research/infrastructure-project-finance/fitch-takes-rating-actions-on-us-airport-special-facility-bonds-amid-coronavirus-disruptions-01-05-2020

Fitch Takes Rating Actions on U.S. Airport Special Facility Bonds Amid Coronavirus Disruptions

Higher cost of borrowing gets reflected in prices and delayed infrastructure projects.

6 Likes

Those quicky field tests are great – when they work.

8 Likes

This might be good news, but it hasn’t been peer reviewed yet, and it’s best to be cautious of anything that tells you exactly want you want to hear. (It’s certainly not something that politicians should be jumping on right away.)

6 Likes

It happened at a Family Dollar in Flint.

9 Likes

As usual, Vox does a pretty good analysis of “it’s complicated”

12 Likes

If it stands up it would be amazing. On the other hand, every time we learn of yet another way that Covid is radically different than other infectious diseases, it makes me more nervous.

6 Likes

From the article:

The risk of such a hug [from a possibly-infected child under 10] “is very low compared to the benefit for the mental health of the grandparents,” Hulmann added.

Sure, because after all grandparents aren’t at especially high risk of major consequences should they catch this disease. /s

9 Likes

Chinese PR example:

13 Likes
5 Likes

Yep, here comes the “I saved millions” bullshit.

12 Likes
10 Likes