Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Interesting point Drosten raised in the podcast: he hasn’t seen any data from Sweden yet. That’s an unique opportunity for research which doesn’t exists in other places.

Interesting arguments he discussed in the podcasts, right? Especially, that the (statistical) population positively tested children is still not enough to support the virological assumptions we have (also based on their own data). In fact, I would say the jury is still out on the explosive re-emergence. an I am not known for “positive” or wishful thinking. I just don’t know, and while I assume as much, I could be wrong. As with the Bluetooth tracing tech, I WANT to be wrong.

Anyway, we are going to test this assumptions, kind of. Many more variables, but the fact remains: we are re-opening schools.

Some byzantine background: Germany (mostly) has a schooling system from 1st to 12th or 13th grade. 1-4th are primary school. 10th is the final year of lower secondary education. Depending on state, 12th or 13th is the final year of higher secondary education and qualification for university education. 13th grade already had their abitur. So, 12th is ‘last-year pupils’ now.

Long story kind of short: the state where I live opened schools for last-year pupils last week. Today, they opened for fourth-graders and (basically) 10th grade onwards. (Some 9th graders on different school forms included.)

Pre-kindergarden daycare already opened in the city I live, which is the worst idea I can think of on the one hand and OTH I can very much relate to the parents who do send their child there because they cannot bear it any more, and/or fear a massive developmental lag or even damages in social behaviour for their child.

Locally, we didn’t have any newly diagnosed case today in an the area where I live. Around 600 tested positive, around 500 are currently counted as ‘recovered’. Around 30 died. The area is an agglomeration of around 330k people. However, with easing of restrictions, people start working and travelling again. And, as stated way up in this topic’s thread, epidemiologists now expect that a diffusion process took place throughout society, so new clusters could form anywhere.

Generally speaking, we are well off. But then, right now, we are experimenting. Politicians are weighing arguments, and while you and me would tend to try to keep the numbers down, they have other issues at hand. Like a tanking economy. And leagues and clubs demanding their right to sell Fußball matches to advertisers, etc. (Sorry for the spin. I don’t even. You know. I can’t. Fuck them.)

10 Likes

Sounds like a summary of most topics on the matter on BB BBS. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Just FTR: the Chinese were pretty annoyed by the Jyllands-Posten a while back and their bloody ambassador weighed in. Pretty funny to see Lego being used to caricature Ms. Liberty.

8 Likes

18 Likes

While it is hard to compare one country to another because people follow rules differently in different countries, the different approaches do give us a rich laboratory in which to do analysis (retrospective, unfortunately) of which variables really have a significant effect on infection rate.

2 Likes

China has criticized the Swedish response as well, possibly over an unconnected human rights squabble:

4 Likes

Take my money!

13 Likes
12 Likes

Strange.

13 Likes

Unlike some places:

I had an appointment for last week (made well in advance, before any of this hit) and I am absolutely fine with this turn of events. My vanity is not worth someone’s life.

19 Likes

And in other successful terrorism news:

14 Likes

I’ve been thinking about trying to crochet masks, with room inside for fabric as a filter… but I’m not sure if such a thing would be safe enough. Even if the knit masks aren’t safe, they are so cute!

8 Likes

Date: 05/04/37833
Archeo-Report: Early Anthropocene Era, circa 2020 CE
Site 12A/5
Synopsis: Peoples of that time believed that wearing demonic images could ward off viral diseases.

17 Likes

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wellness/how-to-wash-your-clothes-if-youve-been-exposed-to-coronavirus/ar-BB13Aj2e?ocid=spartandhp

Thanks. I was wondering how close to home (Santa Clarita, CA) your Lowes experience occurred. Stay safe!

3 Likes

That’s not what I meant. The infection rate isn’t the point, but differences in infectiousness and susceptibility between kids and adults in different age groups are. You need higher numbers of people under real-world conditions. Right now, in many countries, infections of children only happen in families because schools are closed etc. Sweden is much closer to real-world conditions, so the age cohort below 20 years is quite likely more exposed to the virus as in other countries - while being comparable to other age cohorts under similar circumstances (of the Swedish version of social distancing).

That might actually give Swedish researchers the opportunity to address questions which others can’t, because of different skews in their data. Which, in the end, might inform everyone’s (future) policies.

4 Likes

I checked on the price development on some of the pulse oximeters. The ones I checked, on the west central european internet market, I saw an increase in prices dating back to march.

2 Likes

In contrast, I now love my local ACE hardware. The manager is going over-and-above to keep the environment there safe and controlled. She doesn’t hesitate to kick out customers who refuse to follow social distancing and mask rules in the store. I was leaving the store with my purchase, which included very heavy items on a flatbed cart, and a dude with no mask was standing in line to enter and wouldn’t budge from the only spot with a ramp down to parking lot level. I said, “excuse me,” the employee controlling the entrance asked him to move, but it took the manager coming out and threatening to deny him entry before he would move out of the way so I could take my cart to my vehicle.

23 Likes

Now THAT is a hardware store.

16 Likes

Heck, I’ve had medical appointments canceled because of this, and completely understand why.

If it ain’t essential, don’t risk anyone’s life. Pretty basic rule there.

15 Likes

My local ACE Hardware is also awesome but, closed. (sigh)

It’s a very tight space.

10 Likes

from the mashable piece: The artist

suggests wearing a knit mask over a “real deal” face mask (since the knitted ones have holes and the whole point of a cloth mask is to protect others).

Sounds way too warm to me, though. Even just in the 70s Fahrenheit here lately, a plain cloth mask has felt hot to wear. I’ve been wondering if people will really slack off on wearing masks as we get more toward Summer…

6 Likes