Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Another sad story that happened here too. A woman was shot last week. Why did she have to die? The newspapers said that she was afraid of crazy people who would fight to refuse to wear masks.

The articles roughly say:

A 58-year-old man was injured and a 38-year-old woman died after an argument between the client and the security guard at a hypermarket in Araucária, in the greater Curitiba region, capital of the state of Paraná, southern Brazil.

The client would have refused to wear a protective mask to enter the establishment, mandatory by state decree, as a measure to contain the coronavirus.

The customer tried to enter the premises without a mask, which is mandatory to use.

The security guard offered a disposable mask free of charge, even so the client refused, assaulted the guard, engaged in a physical fight with him and tried to take the security guard’s gun, who retaliated by drawing the gun and firing the shots.

14 Likes

DkOGyGrW0AAavra

Too much?

22 Likes

Boy, windows in Russia…

21 Likes
25 Likes

Some follow up about this

21 Likes

There is so much “might be but we just don’t know” with this thing. I keep reminding myself, it is less than 6 months since this came to worldwide attention, a little over 3 months since it became known in tne US. It has not had time to be known. We are sooo not accustomed to things like that. Humble pie has a bitter flavor.

18 Likes

This is actually pretty common in peds. We see “Happy Wheezers” frequently with some viruses, especially common with RSV. Never heard of it in adults, but there you go. Weird bug, too many unknowns.

17 Likes

After all, the best way to deal with toddlers is to give in immediately to their tantrums. That’s how they learn to be responsible members of society. Parenting 101.

19 Likes

Irish dig deep to support virus-hit native Americans, repaying 150-year-old debt

http://www.yahoo.com/news/irish-dig-deep-support-virus-201156553.html?soc_src=community&soc_trk=ma

25 Likes

I signed up for PUA and got money in two days after certifying my first 4 weeks.

https://www.labor.ca.gov/2020/04/14/open-letter-to-californians-regarding-unemployment-insurance-ui-payments-and-pandemic-unemployment-assistance-timeline/

16 Likes

One of the things that I have been trying to keep up with is the emergence of the virus in countries that aren’t hitting the headlines yet. All the below are from the JHU tracker.

For example, here’s Saudi Arabia-

It’s still in the rapid growth phase, as are a number of other countries in the middle east- we could well be seeing another international hotspot for the disease here, like in Europe and the US.

Here are the stats for the other countries in this local cluster:

Here’s Qatar:
Egypt:
UAE:
And Kuwait

In South America, we have a similar story. You’ve all heard about the situation in Brazil, but there are a number of south and central American countries which are also seeing the number of cases climb relentlessly:
There’s Peru:
Ecuador, where the reporting is dominated by a huge update in cases in a single day, but still has a rising trend-
Chile:
And Mexico:

You’re more likely to hear about the larger countries, Especially where things aren’t going well. For instance, Russia just recorded over 10k new cases in a day:

And the outbreak continues to pick up in the Indian subcontinent, with India, Bangladesh and Pakistan all still on the upward curve.
India:
Pakistan:
Bangladesh

This parade of similar looking graph tells the story that is not yet getting to the top of our news bulletins. This pandemic is starting to grow strongly in the global south. In countries which are poorer and less able to cope with the surge in infections that it brings in its wake. And these are only reported figures. As we have already seen in our own countries, for each detected case there are many others that pass under our radar, less symptomatic or simply never entering the system.

And as with all stories based on data, there is another story playing out in the data that isn’t there. Is a lack of diagnoses due to a lack of cases, or a lack of capacity to test, or a lack of willingness to test.

And yet again, as is always the case in a story based on data, the story isn’t about data. It’s about people.

Stay safe everyone.

23 Likes

Florida’s stupid social experiment:

22 Likes

So many places I could take that.

7 Likes

Now that’s how you make effective propaganda.

6 Likes

I think it’s fucking disgusting that he’s using national monuments as propaganda tools for his campaign.

25 Likes

Newsom is going to open California in less than a week. This crap has me worried.

10 Likes

They finally announced today that they are canceling the 2020. With just under 2 weeks to spare before the first show. Good grief.

While this was the right thing to do we’re pretty pissed that we were left hanging for such a long time before anything was announced. We had long since cancelled our flights and hotel and just needed to know what to do with our tickets. Since it was cancelled and not postponed at least we’ll be getting our tickets refunded rather than having to resell.

After this fuckery (and not helped by half the band being fired recently) I don’t see us re-purchasing in the future, that’s for damn sure.

12 Likes

The other key fact about the global south is that most of those countries are not known for cold, dry climates. This has had me concerned for some time that those banking on summer quenching the virus may be quite wrong. Of course I have no data directly applicable to us here, but what I do have is not looking so good.

18 Likes
5 Likes

‘VPs shouldn’t go publicly rogue’… XML co-author Tim Bray quits AWS after Amazon fires COVID-19 whistleblowers

Tim Bray, a co-author of the original specifications for XML, has ended his time as a VP and distinguished engineer at Amazon Web Services in outspoken fashion, quitting in dismay at the treatment of Amazon’s warehouse workers.

24 Likes