Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Due to the extreme vulnerability of remote Indigenous communities to Covid infection, the Northern Territory of Australia has been under near-total lockdown since the crisis began.

But apparently that is no longer a concern. Subservience to the empire trumps all.

12 Likes

:musical_note: Who can stand in the way
When thereā€™s a dollar to be made :musical_note:

17 Likes

So, the billions Frontier received isnā€™t enough to cover an empty seat or two?

10 Likes

Havenā€™t watched yet, but this might have a different focus than what was taken out of your DW post on Greece:

5 Likes

Hereā€™s your daily dose of well documented incompetence from the Trump admin

13 Likes

Am I mistaken or are these communities vulnerable all the time, and not especially to Covid-19? Immunologically speaking, I would expect them to be as susceptible as everyone else.

I donā€™t want to question that they are vulnerable, and this is a bad thing indeed to move a large group of US Marines there now. But I think a higher vulnerability stems from marginalisation in society, etc. - not to anything related directly to the virus. Right?

1 Like

In my early thirties I started experiencing various of the classic cardiac symptoms, including visual disturbances and pain up the left arm and into the jaw. It turned out to be my asthma, which I had had since childhood, but had not carried an inhaler for in couple few years at that point. It was manifesting in a fun new way that impeded oxygenation (obviously) but did not induce wheezing or any other symptoms perceptible to me. Iā€™m still baffled at how that could be, yet I experienced it.

8 Likes

Yup.

A combination of poverty/oppression created pre-existing health problems, shitty housing and sanitation, and a severe lack of healthcare facilities.

Australian Indigenous average lifespans are about thirty years below those of the non-Indigenous community. In health terms, Indigenous Australia more closely resembles the third world than a wealthy industrialised nation.

14 Likes

Futurism from Germany: iSphere

10 Likes

Combined with PAPR filter/blower and outlet filter that could be interesting. In current form the only benefit is that it prevents prevents you from touching your face and looks futuristic.

2 Likes

I donā€™t recall seeing this clip here, yet. It fits a few boingboing topics of late.

8 Likes

ā€œThe iSphere is a funny and serious objectā€ - Iā€™m not so sure about seriously helpful, though. That might become unbearable very, very quickly.

That one, OTHā€¦ that both looks like from a SF film, and actually as if it could be practical in some cases of application:

4 Likes

Made me guffaw quite loudly!

Dark humor for dark times.

17 Likes
17 Likes

WTF is up with meat processing plants? How did they become ground zero? No sarc, I am seriously confused.

18 Likes

Iā€™m guessing that Tyson has dismal human resource policy. As in none at all. No sick leave or the threat that if you call in sick you get fired. So, folks go into work and stand shoulder to shoulder with their fellow meat processing slaves and pass COVID-19 aroundā€¦

If you have seen where the processing plants are for chicken in W.Va. where Tyson is prevalent you know that other job opportunities are nil to none.

eta:

21 Likes

Also no snark intended: I thought meat processing, because being a very dirty work indeed, needed high hygienic standards?

Iā€™m better not going to go looking into that, shall I? Iā€™ve been more or less vegetarian for the last 20 years, for several reasonsā€¦

11 Likes

Nah. Iā€™m more pissed off by my Universityā€™s leadership (which has just announced plans to reopen in the fall with live classes but no hint as to how social distancing will be maintained when, for example, one of my classes with typically 25 students is scheduled for a room with max cap of 30) and by the fact that my ticket home is on a flight which Iā€™ve just learned will surely be canceled, which probably means a slow trip back with stopovers in coronavirus hotspots like London, Newark, and LA.

10 Likes

That is pretty much the answer I guess. Along with the fact that so many are immigrants with little to no access to reliable information about their legal rights. Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck!

19 Likes

After graduating from college (in a recession) I kept a classified ad for a ā€œChicken Hangerā€ on my fridge. It was inspiring to say the least.

8 Likes