Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Much of their labor is immigrant, often illegal. They have to work, they have no resources to even try to protect themselves, they are generally excluded from health messaging, and they invariably live in close quarters with large numbers of other exploited illegal immigrants essential labor.

Any industry like that will be the same, but meat packing is probably the most extreme.

I’m sure the actual work is hygienic enough: certainly no evidence from consumers that it isn’t. But the focus of on protecting consumers, not staff.

15 Likes

Used to live near their headquarters. Everyone knew about the constant stream of repurposed school buses with blacked out windows going to their plants.

10 Likes

Do we need to review again, the mask is not about protecting yourself, it’s about protecting others. And we just do not know about how potential immunity to this thing works nor how long you might be contagious after recovery. He is a fucking physician! But also and asshole, so there is that…

29 Likes

I guarantee you he knows the bare minimum necessary to make money as an opthalmologist, or whatever, and probably couldn’t tell you what a spleen is, much less a virus.

12 Likes

Have I mentioned recently that this is a weird and largely unknown illness?

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/doctors-rush-understand-covid-19s-week-crash/story?id=70457111&cid=clicksource_4380645_7_heads_posts_card_hed

(Why no one-box? No clue.)

Headline, anyway: " Doctors rush to understand COVID-19’s second-week crash"

15 Likes

My shaved side was getting annoying, so I just had my husband shave it for me… no going to the salon for me, either…

A friend of mine is in Doha in quarantine, as he’d just come from his family’s in Kuwait… He said Qatar has not issued any shelter in place orders, but many people are staying at home anyway…

Christ, what an asshole.

14 Likes

He’s also connected with very fringey groups.

12 Likes

Let’s not start this again.

4 Likes

This will brighten up your day a bit

22 Likes

Another great way to spread a virus. I was thinking vans but I should have been thinking bigger.

10 Likes

Companion piece.

NBC: Jared Kushner’s pandemic effort exposed as 'laughable’

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/jared-kushners-pandemic-effort-exposed-as-laughable/ar-BB13GDI1?ocid=spartandhp

12 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

Wouldn’t that be something? :blush:

20 Likes

Just look at it.

11 Likes

Watch Trump whip this out at the next briefing and tout his latest ‘success’:

Open up America! Now all we have to do is milk these babies and drink up! They tell me these are llamas, but I say they’re alpacas! Whatever they’re called… Jared has just set up an LLC to exclusively market this magic milk at only $99.99 per quart! By the way… see here? This is where the milk comes out of! Would you believe it?!”

7 Likes

Sadly, I could see that being a reality in our current timeline. Help?!

13 Likes

We ended up in the worst ‘bubble universe’ possible.

6 Likes
17 Likes

Pretty much everything Kushner does would be laughable if it didn’t have such terrible real world consequences.

15 Likes