Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Cruise ships docking in PR now much prove no passengers have COVID-19. My MIL sure picked a great time to go on a Caribbean cruise.

ETA

9 Likes

Maybe by this point all cruise operators should just be shut down?

9 Likes

I was tempted to post the “And nothing of value was lost” meme in response, but I know there are a lot of people who really, really like cruises.

What I do hope this does is force cruise lines to improve the structural and procedural hygiene of their vessels. While the usual culprit in cruise ship illness is norovirus, the last few weeks have really demonstrated how cruise ships have a disease vector problem.

16 Likes

I’ve long thought that, and it’s the main reason I would never go on one.

8 Likes

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/09/nyregion/port-authority-rick-cotton-coronavirus.html

Coronavirus in N.Y.: Head of Port Authority Tests Positive

Rick Cotton, the executive director of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, is one of the most prominent U.S. officials to have contracted the virus.

So - he is responsible for all trains, buses and airports.

15 Likes

Not cool. I was providing useful information, in direct response to a question. That’s what this thread is for.

Which you already posted (and I liked!), but it is only the case where the bleach has a source of organics to denature. It doesn’t do that on inorganic surfaces like stainless steel, tile, stone, etc. which make up a good part of household surfaces. It’s still good and can definitely be used for household disinfection, especially since it is readily available. But it is also good to know the difference between levels of disinfection (99%, 99.9%, 99.99%, etc). For routine cleaning, use what you have on hand. For disinfection of something that you know has a high exposure factor, I want to use a disinfectant that has a 5-log reduction capability, not 3-log reduction.

8 Likes
12 Likes

Yeah, I don’t get it either. I did a Caribbean cruise shortly after 9/11 and it was a fun experience and all, but it certainly wasn’t the kind of thing I could see myself really wanting to do again. Some people are super into it, though.

5 Likes
9 Likes

Lorain’s already been through a lot; I think I was in at least 3 factories/major employers there when I worked for the EPA in the late 70s, they’ve all closed since.

I’m optimistically hoping that they were mainly smokers. I’d like to see the results from Italy, where smoking has greatly declined in recent decades.

And airplanes pack passengers in even closer proximity, although for less long.

4 Likes

Yup. Panic never, ever helps.

4 Likes

You ain’t my boss!

8 Likes

Days After Rep. Matt Gaetz Voted on COVID-19 Funding in a Gas Mask, the Virus Killed One of His Constituents and the Lawmaker Quarantined Himself

16 Likes

Remember the good old days, when this kind of shit used to destroy political careers?

Not that it wouldn’t still destroy a Democrat’s.

13 Likes

images

8 Likes

A thread for people who still aren’t getting it:

20 Likes

Of course Gohmert is having none of this gubmint science nonsense. :roll_eyes:

18 Likes

Par for his (par 3) course.

7 Likes

It’s starting to sound like the CPAC patient zero was pretty high up. He was in close proximity to a ton of electeds.

Please be Koch.

13 Likes

Wouldn’t surprise me at all if the death from this virus of a Koch resulted in a massive coverup.

7 Likes