Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Tornio turning to Sweden

Yesterday it emerged that cross-border traffic between northern Finland and Sweden had tripled despite recommendations not to travel.

Officials were concerned that the movement could risk a spike in coronavirus cases, especially as Sweden has a higher prevalence of coronavirus than Finland.

Ilatlehti reports that underlying the change is a community that tired of the divide erected between its eastern and western parts.

Tornio and Haparanda are effectively a single town divided by the Tornionjoki river, with residents crossing several times a day.

IL reports that the breakdown in restrictions came via a local Facebook group after one man asked a border guard whether he could be stopped from heading into Sweden and back.

When the border guard answered no, leaving the country is his constitutional right, the man spread the news to locals via social media.

IL says the group showed some bitterness towards official messaging of recent weeks that stressed borders were ‘closed’, without explaining that this was only ever really a recommendation.

6 Likes
8 Likes
16 Likes
16 Likes

Hmmmm, while I understand the anger, it seems to have taken an unfortunately racist turn there…

10 Likes

:astonished: Holy shit!! That’s a new one in me!

10 Likes

I guess there was large leak of oxygen. Even human flesh burns in high enough oxygen concentrations.

7 Likes
12 Likes
11 Likes

If you drive, you’re saying that you can’t do it and talk at the same time? Looks to me like her phone is in a dash mount. And even if not, holding it with one hand and the wheel with the other isn’t all that distracting if there’s not much traffic around.

That’s 292 deaths (as of posting this) in the city and immediate suburbs of Buffalo NY compared to the 258 deaths in the entirety of South Korea.

23 Likes
20 Likes

In “Dude gets really upset that his major fail of a protest became a meme” news

17 Likes

Phone is not mounted, the frame is not fixed. At one point the driving hand is also waving about. Not that much traffic but you can see in the reflection they are right behind someone. Not really talking, more of a rage vent.
I was also conflicted. The message is on point, but the optics are unfortunate.

I then realized this car is on autopilot, and even if it’s not I’m going to pretend it is. It would help support the psa if they did it while parked tho imo.

4 Likes

I’d love to see more people run away from 45 and his crew everywhere they go - until they give up on trying to personally spread the virus through public appearances. Some of his followers are bright enough to want to save their own skins rather than be in a room (or parking lot) with Typhoid T. I hope it upsets him to realize they don’t all want to sacrifice themselves to make him look good.

9 Likes

Personally, I’ve always prided myself on being blunt.

5 Likes

There are probably more cases like this that are not reported. It seems that killing prisoners and arrested suspects through intentional neglect and lack of necessary medical help isn’t limited to totalitarian countries.

9 Likes

Did you see this one from last year?

17 Likes

Key word here? “Unreleased.” And will probably stay that way, as the “leak” is denied and “Fake News’d”

22 Likes

Thanks Trump!

11 Likes