Ongoing coronavirus happenings

I don’t know. A nice tall one around Trump Tower and Mar-a-lago - topped with razor wire and manned by border protection sounds appealing.

6 Likes

24 Likes

Hey, @Wanderfound, I hear shrooms down under are confusing people?

Oh, no, the other way round…

Shit.

As a botanist (and yes, fungi are usually dealt with under botany - chairs for fungi are rather rare) and an avid forager of fungi until 1987 (April) I have to say: only experience helps. This is an art which tends to be forgotten in many societies. And even though I am trained (professionally and privately) I already nearly poisoned a colleague with Agaricus xanthodermus.

6 Likes

April 1987? I would have guessed April 1986.

6 Likes

It was the crazy Sovereign Citizen version of “Citizen’s Arrest” too. Restraining someone is only allowed if they attempt to flee. Dude was in his own house, where’s he going?

11 Likes

Yup.

The latest batch appears to be mostly foodie fuckups, but it also doesn’t help that the most common psychedelic shrooms down here look very similar to some lethally nasty ones.

11 Likes

Beltway bandits strike again.

14 Likes

True. I am always confused with dates between 1985 and 1988, I have to admit. To many things going on in that period. Challenger, Exxon Valdez, La Belle bombing, Iran-Iraq war, Rheindahlen bombing, and a lot of other stuff… And of course the big one, Chernobyl. Later Lockerbie bombing, Nagorno-Karabach… It was all a blur of bad news, some of it with implications on my doorstep.

Well, 2016 to 2022 is going to be the same, I guess.

10 Likes
16 Likes

AKA the good old days…

The nice thing about nuclear fallout compared to viruses is that you can use a Geiger counter to scan for contamination.

10 Likes

Yeah. There’s also another thing. Bruce Sterling wrote something in the late 90s in regard to biotech. I’m quoting from memory here, but might try to crawl for it later: plutonium is very dangerous, but at least it does not replicate itself.

There is a reason why the plague (the actual plage, Yersinia pestis left such a mark on societies.

ETA:

Didn’t age too well, I think. But I noted down that quote when I read it back then, and never completely forgot it.

6 Likes
16 Likes

2022 being the year that President Biden will step down for health reasons and let his excellent VP choice take over. /fantasyuniverse

5 Likes

“Bowing out”?

She should be arrested. Maybe the charge could be stochastic terrorism?

16 Likes

Driveway karaoke singer who wanted to lift lockdown spirits gets council noise complaint

7 Likes

Wouldn’t it make more sense to aggressively test those people immediately surrounding Xi Jinping while reopening all of China?

If you want to be a global superpower, start acting like one.

/s

13 Likes

The last thing he mentioned, Germany testing kids every four days after opening schools: that’s not recommended by the RKI, and not rolled out nation-wide. Right now, to the best of my knowledge, this is ONE school in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern! The NYT reported on this school, so it gets attention in the US.

That’s not really the way to go.

4 Likes

So sad…

http://a.msn.com/00/en-us/BB13Xsn7?ocid=se

Super-Rich Stranded by Lockdowns Face Higher Tax Bills

12 Likes
12 Likes

Problem is, they’re not concerned about people’s rights - they are only concerned about their own rights. They want a world where they can do what they want, and a government that selectively gives support to those who support the government. In their view, everybody else can go hang. Folks who believe this is how the world should work are more than happy to supply the rope, and use it on others.

16 Likes