Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Yep…

simpsons-thats-joke

Incidentally, that’s part of the argument made by Reza Aslan in his book on Jesus, Zealot, which I’d recommend…

Also, puts me in mind of the Billy Bragg/Wilco cover of Woody Guthrie’s Christ for President…

“Cast the money changers/out of the temple/put the carpenter in…”

10 Likes

boring

7 Likes

Mermaid Ave. is an awesome collection of music.

2 Likes

I guess they’ve just given up here:

8 Likes

First of many. Too late for quarantine to do very much once the virus is widespread. Only chance was while it was still only in isolated pockets. That ship sailed weeks ago.

20 Likes

Any statement containing the words, “from an entirely disinterested economic perspective” is almost guaranteed to be.

16 Likes
13 Likes

https://naturalhistory.si.edu/exhibits/outbreak-epidemics-connected-world

What better way to spend the afternoon with a few thousand tourists? Not the most well thought out exhibit.

13 Likes

I am truly beginning to think I am the only one in this organization who thought this whole scenario through. As of last night the procedural plan was we keep going as normal until the last provider drops, then we close down. As one of those sacrificial providers, I am not in favor! But anything more extreme than business-as-usual could cause people to be afraid. Damn it, they should be! Not in a panicky way, but in a “respect this very dangerous and unpredictable situation” way. So I talked to the staff today and told them that, like front line troops throughout history, we are considered disposable by everybody but us, so we have to take care of each other. Really didn’t expect it this quickly.

37 Likes

This is so depressing, but entirely true.

I’m sorry.

28 Likes

2:20 p.m. Trump ‘feels extremely good,’ doesn’t plan on getting tested

President Donald Trump said that while he “would” get tested for coronavirus, he doesn’t think it’s a “big deal” because he “feels extremely good” and hasn’t exhibited any symptoms.

“I feel very good, but I guess it’s not a big deal to get tested,” Trump told reporters outside Capitol Hill Tuesday afternoon. “It is something I would do, but again, I spoke to the White House doctor – terrific guy, talented guy. He said there is no reason to do it.”

Alex Brandon/AP

President Donald Trump speaks to reporters about the coronavirus outbreak, March 10, 2020, on Capitol Hill.

President Donald Trump speaks to reporters about the coronavirus outbreak, March 10, 2020, on Capitol Hill.Alex Brandon/AP

Trump said that he believes the U.S. has “done a very good job on testing.”

"When people need a test, they can get a test," he said. "When the professionals need to test more people they can get the tests."

Nearly 5,000 Americans have been tested for the virus, according to an ABC News count"

I spent over an hour yesterday yelling and browbeating people to try to get my patient tested. Nope, ain’t happening. I know “Trump lies” is just a fact of life, but this one just… fuck.

27 Likes

That’s just the fever talkin’

4 Likes

I’m confused.

Are you saying that doctors in the USA are not respected ?

I see nothing to support an opinion like that.

I am truly baffled how that is what you took from my statement.

24 Likes

It would serve him right if he gets sick in general, just for being SUCH a flagrant dumbass.

14 Likes

That was a wonderful thread. Thank you for sharing.

6 Likes

I guess because the family and friends that I have know that actually do go to front-lines are generally trying to find there way to a better life through the most dehumanizing machine on the planet next to prison.

They are not highly educated, highly paid, highly respected upper-middle-class for the most part.

Sorry to misunderstand your comparison to someone with a shaved head and is property of a government.

10 Likes

You know what, I was going to respond but no, just not gonna do it. Good day.

17 Likes

When a big swath of the population is anti-science; when parents ignore doctors telling them to get their kids vaccinated or they might die; when people would rather literally drink poison rather than make doctor-recommended minor changes to their lifestyle; there’s a lot of disrespect for doctors in the US.

People might say they like doctors, but actual behavior of many is contrary to that.

21 Likes