Ongoing coronavirus happenings

Ok, thanks! I knew something like that was the case, but I wasn’t quite sure exactly what.

4 Likes

California tech industry gets its first big coronavirus hit: RSA Conference attendee infected, in serious condition

5 Likes

Rich people continue to act like utter shit even during a pandemic

7 Likes

In the US there would be fine print saying that by participating in the the mortgage payment suspension program, you are taking out a 23% interest loan for the total amount of the missed payments, and that future payments will be applied to the original mortgage first, until it is paid off in full.

13 Likes

Sadly true.

9 Likes

Anyone else noticed that the JHU dashboard stopped updating at 10:30 this morning? I am finding up-tp-date numbers hard to come by now.

7 Likes
3 Likes

In the movies that would mean zombies have overrun Baltimore

11 Likes

Does that mean they have left DC? That might be a good thing…

6 Likes

I just tried a couple of minutes ago, and got this:

ETA: I’m assuming that’s local time for me, so less than twenty minutes ago.

Still scary as fuck.

4 Likes

Mine just updated finally. No clue what that was about.

5 Likes

I smell grifting.

“Gilead Sciences is one of only six S&P 500 stocks up today”

“Biotech Gilead Sciences (GILD), which is testing its remdesivir drug in human patients, was up more than 1%. The World Health Organization has previously said that the antiviral vaccine might be the best hope to contain COVID-19.”

Meanwhile…

“The Trump administration filed a lawsuit in federal district court against Gilead Sciences Inc., alleging the drugmaker has profited from taxpayer-funded research for Truvada and Descovy when the HIV drugs are used for prevention.”

Head scratching…

7 Likes

The site might be behind a cache or CDN, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s being hammered on from all over the world.

5 Likes

Urge to burn down D.C. rising…

17 Likes

Amazing. I went from nonchalant to full germophobe in the span of my early waking hours yesterday. I still have the sinking feeling that it’s far too late.

Also a day late and a dollar short: I finally got a flu shot (and a pneumonia shot as well) today. :roll_eyes:

ETA: The first pharmacy I tried was out of the under-65 flu vaccine.

3 Likes

It seems to be updating every few minutes again. Very well could have been just overwhelmed. Considering the political fuckery that is surrounding this beast, its hard not to expect info to suddenly vanish. Would like to not have to think like that, I really would.

7 Likes
9 Likes

One nitpick with that phrasing: remdesivir is not a vaccine, it’s a prolog that inhibits RNA replication necessary for viruses to hijack cells into making more virus.

It’s an important detail, since it’s used to combat the disease in patients who are already infected, in contrast to vaccines which work to prevent infection.

20 Likes

@MalevolentPixy Scratch that. The World Vaccine Congress just postponed their conference to September. My bad! Also, yikes!

10 Likes

I thought it was a cult…

11 Likes