Ongoing coronavirus happenings

As @chgoliz posted the other day:

13 Likes

13 Likes

As well as just plain stupid.

I get the sense you took offense at the suggestion that doctors and nurses were going to be akin to front-line soldiers in a battle against the coronavirus. People use war analogies for too many things. But if coronavirus goes the way it looks like it’s going to go, doctors and nurses are going to be out there literally giving their lives to protect other people. And after we’re going to treat them probably about the same way we treat veterans: a lot of superficial respect and not a lot of actual care.

It’s funny because when I heard “inflection point” I was thinking of the actual inflection point of the curve because of course spread of disease through a population isn’t exponential, it’s some kind of S-shaped function. And that made me think they were saying half the population was already infected…

17 Likes

World Heath Organization myth-busting page:

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/myth-busters

10 Likes
7 Likes

I’m sorry, could you rephrase that in the form of not being a Malthusian ass?

21 Likes

God damn! No haircuts in Italy…

6 Likes

Still business as usual at the Mail then.

8 Likes

That would be this Logistic function - Wikipedia and students are often introduced to it in the context of population growth meeting the limits of an environment. I don’t know if COVID would follow the model or if it would be true exponential growth until the ceiling (7-some billion) was hit.

The concept we may be searching for is this: Tipping point (sociology) - Wikipedia It came out of sociology, but may apply in other disciplines. Great wiki entry, I recommend reading the whole thing.

6 Likes

There was a different meeting instead…

15 Likes

Lamar Alexander: putting the “ass” in Tennassee since 1940. :wink:

9 Likes

It’s probably terrible of me, but my first thought reading that was “Yup, he’s about to come down with Covid-19 in about a week from now. Good riddance.”

8 Likes

Basically we need to spend the next 12-18 months on lockdown until we have a serviceable vaccine available at scale. Or we need to be prepared to accept the deaths of tens of millions in order to carry on with business as usual. What are we going to choose to do?

5 Likes

Thread:

10 Likes

If I may ask questions here:

1. Does anyone have an idea (that’s not a half-assed guess :slight_smile: ) of how many people in the US are ultimately going to be infected with COVID-19?
  2. Once one is infected and makes it out the other side alive, do they have any sort of immunity against it in the future, or can they come down with it again?

ETA: question 2 is answered in Ars Technica’s coronavirus FAQ. tl;dr - They’re not sure.

7 Likes

Of course Trump is cutting funding to the CDC

12 Likes

You’d be surprised how many do not. Especially after taking into account their high expenses, such as required malpractice insurance and constant ongoing education.

For example, I know several pediatricians who make less than high level executive assistants (with little or no college) and even non-profit administrators.

15 Likes

Right… part of my point, actually. Especially not GPs. But the assumption is that they are all raking it in, driving high end cars, and that’s the only reason that some glorify doctors.

12 Likes

So they get it wrong on multiple levels!

11 Likes

Unsurprising, of course. Some people, even when faced with reality and facts, will believe the spectacle over reality… it’s part of how we got here, unfortunately.

15 Likes