Ongoing Corvid Developments

9 Likes

crow

Koson [Shoson] Ohara - Crow Eating a Persimmon

10 Likes

For other researchers like McCoy, the concern is more focused on continuing to use non-invasive procedures like FDG-PET to study these animals further. “I think we need to be very careful about doing invasive studies on brain tissue and function in crows,” McCoy states. “They are smart birds who feel emotions and understand fear and pain. Let’s design non-invasive studies that work with the crows and release them back into the wild after a summer of behavioral observations.”

Maybe there is hope for us to become what we claim to be after all…

12 Likes

lalulutres

9 Likes
9 Likes

I think they’ve got the headline wrong way ‘round.

5 Likes

only if our ancestral amniotes also do. birds and mammals diverged back before there were birds… or mammals. ( eta: it’s maybe brain complexity itself, or something like co-evolution for the shared ability )

9 Likes

Turtles off there on the left doin their own thing. No branching off, no extinctions, just out there turtling all the way down.

10 Likes

It’s an old tree though. Now turtles are understood to be the closest living relatives of crocodilians and birds, so branching off after lizards and snakes (and tuataras). They are so very specialized it’s been hard to relate them to extinct groups but from new fossils might fit in near aquatic groups like placodonts and plesiosaurs.

Still doing their thing for a very long time, of course.

6 Likes

Very strange to me to think of turtles as being one of the closest living relatives to birds. Maybe I can console myself in that they both lay eggs.

4 Likes

This leucistic corvid has its own paparazzi -

8 Likes

8 Likes

Penguins. Birds that are a lot like turtles.

10 Likes

although, suddenly, the twelve days of christmas song makes a lot more sense

7 Likes

Seems like getting off the ground would be unnecessarily harder, though.

9 Likes

good air defense though. you can never trust a partridge with ready access to pears.

5 Likes

hense
That is the best thing I’ve seen today

creative-anchorage

Tags by @spiritboardvalentine:

#a few months ago i witnessed a huge ass raven violently yank a fast food bag out of an over stuffed trash can, then started munching fries

#then noticed the sweet and sour sauce that was half opened. Dipped the fry and ate it. looked like it had a religious experience.

#according to Google birds can taste sweet and sour so that raven just unlocked a whole new world of taste i think about this at least weekly

#also the raven was trying to scare off every other bird in the area the whole time, their fucking fries

#we were on a roadtrip for somewhat urgent reasons but my dad and I just sat in the van watching this happen for multiple minutes dumbfounded

#that’s been my bird story of the day

16 Likes

Lawyer Crow is a woman in an LA highrise who feeds the local crows all kindsa good stuff. Her videos are often irreverently titled and always cool.

11 Likes

I like how after the whole yolks are gone, they crows keep looking around as if to ask, “Is this it? No more whole yolks?” Or perhaps, “Free food? Is this a trick?” Or, both.

6 Likes

From today’s funny pages

13 Likes