Ongoing Mpox Happenings and other epidemic news

It would be nice to know if insurance will cover this. Especially Medicare as the recommendation is for seniors.

6 Likes

I just knew I would be able to use this someday!!

8 Likes

Avian flu is a disaster.

3 Likes

The Government of Peru has declared a health emergency due to an outbreak of Guillain Barré Syndrome. According to the Peruvian Ministry of Health, the number of deaths from the syndrome has risen to four, and cases have surpassed 180 people, recorded between January and July.

3 Likes

We noticed the trees were quieter last year. There are a lot of mature trees around here so you have to learn to live with cardinals, blue jays, crows, even hawks nesting and making a racket. The birds seems to be back in Ontario this year, hopefully; the trees are noisier again.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Congenital syphilis infections in newborns have risen about 700% across the country over the past decade, according to the CDC.

1 Like

Typhus. Spread by fleas.

4 Likes

(from your link)

Family members are sharing his story to hopefully help others. They think getting to a doctor sooner could have made a big difference, but said had they waited any longer, they would have lost him.

“If it were 48 hours later, he would have not made it,” she said.

Hardaway said Kohlhof was trying to get well on his own to save him a trip to the hospital because he didn’t have insurance.

:sob:

2 Likes
2 Likes

“Nationwide, more than 110,000 cases have been detected since 2010, the CDC said. But that may be a vast underestimate.

The agency suspects that the number of people affected may be as many as 450,000.”

Looks like the number of cases per year are rising.

4 Likes

Seems more like an arch-villian’s super lair.

4 Likes

That’s actually kinda terrifying. The wrong folks set up something like this, you get DIY WMDs. (Relatively) cheap, (relatively) easy, terribly effective. And terrorists tend not to worry about unintended consequences or by-catch, that is all the better for them. Shit, i need to get this out of my head

10 Likes
4 Likes

An unappreciated advantage of still masking, I guess!

5 Likes

I post this primarily to bring attention to this graph:

While, yes, cases are increasing, unlike covid, mpox is fairly easily controllable with behavioral interventions. There should be no panic, and certainly no China-bashing, over this one. Let’s not contribute to craziness. (And, yes, that is cases. Not hundreds or thousands, just ones. Good to know, not cause for panic.)

10 Likes
5 Likes
3 Likes

Oh No Facepalm GIF

Yeah, here we go again

3 Likes