Ongoing Mpox Happenings and other epidemic news

1 Like

In fact, many of the recent Florida cases lacked traditional risk factors but reported spending a lot of time outdoors. The similarity “supports the investigation into environmental reservoirs as a potential source of transmission,” the doctors wrote.

I present this as evidence that the very Earth has had enough of Florida man and has set out to eliminate him. But seriously, leprosy? That’s like, literally, going medieval on them!

8 Likes

Biblical, even.

3 Likes

Worth keeping an eye on what is going on elsewhere as well. If we have learned anything, it should be that viruses do not respect borders. Lord knows exotic mosquito borne illness are going to be an increasing problem as the southeast become more tropical.

5 Likes
1 Like

Let’s see if we’ve got the bingo card filled yet. Malaria, dengue, leprosy… There are a few left to check off. Well on the way to hell, though.

6 Likes
4 Likes

OK, RTFA before replying (I says to me…) Yeah, getting the shots in the same arm each time affecting response makes some sense. Whether it is left or right does not. So, yeah. Makes sense.

8 Likes

Aw man, I can’t remember which arm I got my last flu/Covid shot in. I guess going forward I should resolve to always use the same arm. Let’s see if I remember this come October…

4 Likes

Since most vaccines cause muscle pain in the days following, I always choose my less dominant arm – the one I don’t write with.

6 Likes

Same here - my poor left arm.

7 Likes

I actually choose my dominant arm (left). I sleep on my side on my other arm, so I’d rather not sleep on the one that hurts.

I type far, far more than I write, so writing isn’t even a consideration for me and I mouse right.

3 Likes

… well then surely the medical professionals vaccinating us will tell us which arm to present

It shouldn’t be hidden like “secret knowledge THEY don’t want us to know” in the pages of “USA Today”

This is big. In pediatrics, this is really big. RSV is a premie killer, and makes little babies sick as hell. This is passive immunity, but with immature immunity, that’s as good as it gets. They haven’t released a price yet, but it will be high, maybe $500 or so. But the alternative right now is palivizumab, which runs ~$2500/dose and has to be given monthly. Relatively speaking, $500 once is a bargain. Some good news for a change!

5 Likes

OK, so there are 2 take-homes from this (IMHO)

1. WASH YOUR FUCKING HANDS!!! Norovirus is transmitted fecal-orally. Failing to wash after taking a dump is how this happens.

2. Paid sick leave is not really optional. If you can’t take time off when you are sick, you will make others sick. It is that simple.

Neither of these will happen. This is infuriating.

12 Likes
2 Likes

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/tough-mudder-sonoma-race-infection-18333075.php

Sonoma County officials issued a health advisory Wednesday after hundreds of people who competed in a Tough Mudder obstacle course at Sonoma Raceway last weekend reportedly developed rashes with boils, fevers and muscle pain, as well as other health issues including nausea and vomiting, less than 24 hours after the event.

2 Likes

https://archive.ph/WdNGN

4 Likes

John Green has been on a tear lately about TB…

8 Likes