Ongoing Mpox Happenings and other epidemic news

4 Likes
6 Likes

Related to my previous post, I have previously stated that our healthcare system is not “crumbling,” it has crumbled. But it has done so in phases, with mental healthcare leading the way.

“We continue to see incredibly high demand for mental health services and an incredibly limited supply,” says psychologist Vaile Wright, senior director of Health Care Innovation at the APA. “This is not a sustainable solution to addressing the mental health crisis in this country.”

I have no answers, other than the unmet needs discussed here are being pushed down to the primary care docs, who are not as well trained or experienced in dealing with this stuff. “This is not sustainable” is a huge, huge understatement. And more and more PCP’s are looking for the exit, new docs are choosing to not enter primary care fields, it’s a slow-motion collapse. It does not give me pleasure to say that mine may be the last generation of docs that could do what I do. And I will be able to close out my career as I started it, doing what I love. But I have no idea what comes next.

11 Likes

“If we don’t do anything, which is basically what we’re doing right now, it’s going to get worse,” Tom Scott, a medical entomologist and professor emeritus at UC Davis, said during the workshop. “The damage from inaction is enormous, it’s unacceptable. It’s unethical.”

It’s also absolutely predictable, with a significant chunk of the populace prepared to react violently to any attempt to control illness, I would say we are well and truly screwed.

7 Likes

I’m spraying my clothes right now!

6 Likes

Oh, it’s worse than that! For-profit “health care” will profit take off both prevention and treatment. People with insurance will struggle to afford either, and lots of people, mostly the elderly and small children, will die.

'Merica, fuck yeah!

[I hate this country sooooo much sometimes. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:]

4 Likes
2 Likes
5 Likes

Ugh, I wish I could find the podcast from a few years back. College de France, a retired guru of the pharma industry put the lack of new anti-microbials down to the mergers in the 90’s, which stopped a lot of research.

The “responsible use” bit being Job 1, of course.

4 Likes

The data, released as part of an annual snapshot on children and HIV/AIDS, suggests that gender inequality, limited access to health care and a dearth of educational programs put girls at particular risk for HIV worldwide. Although the analysis found “tremendous gains” in HIV prevention and treatment, it notes that 71 percent of new infections among adolescents ages 10 to 19 are among girls.

In sub-Saharan Africa, which has the largest proportion of children and adolescents with HIV, prevalence among girls and young women is triple that of males.

2 Likes

At least one good news

6 Likes
8 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes
6 Likes

Yeah, i haven’t had to worry about congenital syphilis in a long time. I do now, and it sucks

7 Likes
7 Likes

mike

1 Like

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/brazilian-city-begins-first-mass-vaccination-against-dengue-2024-01-03/

Julio Cesar was just 14 years old when he passed away from Dengue in 2023, two days before his 15th birthday. His mother, Mrs. Francisleine Costa was the 1st person to be vaccinated against dengue in the mass immunization campaign that began in Dourados, state of Mato Grosso do Sul, in central Brazil.

4 Likes

“ In Philadelphia, about 93% of children are fully vaccinated against measles by age 6, city officials said. About 90% of unvaccinated people who come in close contact with someone with measles will become infected. About 1 in 5 unvaccinated people who get measles are hospitalized.”

2 Likes