Ongoing Mpox Happenings and other epidemic news

Up to 8 now, with 3 hospitalizations. On a tangent for a moment, hospitalizing measles is a big deal. The virus can travel through ventilation systems, stay viable for hours, and is incredibly infectious. Sufficiently isolating them to protect other patients is amazingly taxing on manpower, which is already stretched thin, exhausting and expensive. And not always sufficient. What a mess…

6 Likes

I don’t know if this is the right place to post this. But as this news is related to collective health…

8 Likes
4 Likes

Since they fucked up last time by not following the plans that were already in place pre-COVID, this doesn’t relieve my skepticism. The economic focus on supply chains, bunkers, and yachts/space exploration always seems to take priority. Even if they make it possible to create a vaccine quickly, are they working on a way to convince the masses to get it? :woman_shrugging:t4: Maybe part of the discussion includes how countries and corporations can continue to prosper when people don’t live long. :weary:

9 Likes
7 Likes
2 Likes

Jeff Goldblum What GIF

5 Likes
5 Likes

85%! Holy shit, that’s awful! Much worse because that sort of thing tends to exist in clusters of extremely low uptake scattered in a mass of pretty good. The issue becomes when the bug gets loose in one of those pockets and builds up to a large innoculum, then the 5% or so of vaccinated people who are not actually immune start coming down with it. This is a aet up for true ugliness.

10 Likes
6 Likes
1 Like
8 Likes
1 Like
6 Likes
1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes

The word routinely is of some significance here. As far as I remember, there is already a large program in several West African countries delivering the vaccine.

Or maybe was, since some of those are apparently cutting ties with “the West” (we really need a new moniker for that, don’t we?).

5 Likes
3 Likes

11%??? They really need to get rid unnecessary exemptions

12 Likes