Ongoing Mpox Happenings and other epidemic news

Hopefully the virus isn’t heat stable. Even if it isn’t, the presence in the herd is concerning, especially with all the workers around them.

11 Likes

Not so much, was par for the course for the precursors to COVID, like SARS, which jumped via camels…

4 Likes

Yet another reason to avoid “raw milk”.

8 Likes
12 Likes
9 Likes

So, it’s still not going from person to person yet?

3 Likes

YET being the operative word. I’m probably just letting my PTSD speak, but none of this makes me happy. At all.

10 Likes

Yeah, that’s my concern too… just what we need yet another global pandemic… :sob:

7 Likes
7 Likes

Then I’ll probably be immune!

2 Likes

[Bird flu virus has been spreading in US cows for months, RNA reveals (nature.com)]

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-024-01256-5

5 Likes

Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing AND Telly Savalas

:open_mouth:

3 Likes

And possibly from the cows to other animals.

10 Likes

Cheesy great cheap movie.

2 Likes

FTA:

Cows are only the latest addition to H5N1’s surprisingly broad host range. Amid a global outbreak over the past several years that has devastated wild bird populations and poultry farms, researchers have documented unexpected and often deadly outbreaks in mammals. Since 2022, the USDA has found H5N1 in over 200 mammals, from big cats in zoos to harbor seals, mountain lions, raccoons, skunks, squirrels, polar bears, black bears, foxes, and bottlenose dolphins.

And yet, we seem to think humans are somehow different. Not so sure, myself.

10 Likes

“ Tests of the samples collected from the brains and lungs of dead cats yielded results suggesting “high amounts of virus.” Autopsies of the cats also revealed “microscopic lesions consistent with severe systemic virus infection,” they said, including to the eye and brain.

Around 1 in 5 samples of milk the Food and Drug Administration checked from U.S. retailers tested positive for H5N1, though the agency said last week that studies so far show that pasteurization is working to kill off the virus in milk; only harmless fragments remained. Officials have repeatedly urged Americans not to drink raw milk.”

—-

I made that raw milk mistake once and won’t be repeating it! Wondering- is it possible for the killed viral proteins in milk to confer some immunity?

7 Likes

No way to answer that definitively, but I’m going with probably not. These fragments would not survive the digestive process to get the attention of the immune system, and (at least for influenza as we know it) the GI route is not the usual route of infection. Maybe if you snorted it, but I would not suggest that either. Pending some level of research in that area (and I would not hold my breath waiting) that’s probably the best you’ll get.

8 Likes
10 Likes

And Il Douche has already said he plans to dismantle what preparations we do have. I am sure the Xitter faction in the House will get behind pandemic preparations, right? :rofl:

7 Likes
9 Likes