Ongoing Mpox Happenings and other epidemic news

This sounds both horrifying and counterintuitive.

6 Likes

African CDC declares mpox as a continental emergency:

10 Likes

https://thehill.com/homenews/4826747-virus-that-causes-slapped-cheek-rash-in-kids-is-rising-in-us-cdc-warns/

Over the past two years, there has been an uptick of the common seasonal illness, known as parvovirus B19, particularly among kids aged 5 to 9. The CDC said the percentage of positive cases in this age group rose from 15% between 2022 and early 2024 to 40% in June 2024.

The CDC has also received reports from doctors noting an unexpected rise in infections among pregnant people. Some of these cases have reportedly led to severe fetal anemia that required transfusions or resulted in pregnancy loss.

10 Likes

This year is a lot higher than most, but we see it every year. Not a big deal unless you are pregnant, have sickle cell or are immunocompromised. The virus seems able to shut down production of red blood cells, which for most of us is not a big deal for the brief duration of the infection. (Normal RBC lifespan is about 60 days) But in those instances, it can be bad, up to life-threatening. Yet another reason that masking in public spaces is a very good idea. But hey, mild inconvenience for the sake of saving some else’s life is just an unacceptable intrusion into the rights of every person to spread infection, right?

10 Likes
7 Likes

ETA

7 Likes
12 Likes

Baby Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

The stupid, it burnses, it does!

13 Likes
10 Likes
7 Likes

While we are bringing back other nearly-eliminated diseases and mounting up the four horsemen, why would we leave polio behind? For any who don’t understand why this is a problem, diseases have no respect for boundaries, and for every case detected, there are many, many undetected. In a place where public health is just a hazy memory, and healthcare is a prime target for airstrikes, this can spread rapidly and widely. Unfortunately, it can also be used to target refugees as “disease spreading vermin” and further limit their access to help. fuuuuuuu

10 Likes

This is a bit concerning, if currently fairly local:

The virus causes Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE), which kills between 30 and 50 percent of people who are stricken—who are often children under the age of 15 and the elderly. Around half who survive are left permanently disabled, and some die within a few years due to complications. There is no treatment for EEE. So far, one person in the town—an elderly resident of Oxford—has already become seriously ill with neuroinvasive EEE.

DEET or (probably preferably) picaridin work, and beats the hell out of EEE.

12 Likes
7 Likes

JFC, 100% DEET barely works for me. I am going to have a hard time getting the peppers harvested this year. How hot are those Tyvek suits anyway?

7 Likes

8 Likes

If you still want something solid instead of the net option, I wore cotton shorts and a T-shirt inside a hooded Tyvek suit for gardening. The light weight and white color kept it from getting too hot, but I spent less than two hours wearing it each time.

10 Likes

Hot. People doing physical work in Tyvek suits and filter masks are required to take a break after two hours and rest for two hours.
And as @PsiPhiGrrrl has already said, undies inside only.

10 Likes

Yeah, looks like a more livable option. Plus, I can laugh at all the mosquitos that fail to get me because I’ll be able to hear and see them!

5 Likes
6 Likes

Beyond the outbreaks – of Covid, bird flu, mpox, measles and other dangerous pathogens – the inability or refusal to learn the lessons of each crisis is the most pressing health issue facing America, he said. “The social epidemic of forgetting is probably the more worrisome public health event of 2024.”

A lack of testing, opaque data, political divides, poor healthcare access and a sense of hubris – all have plagued the Covid response, and now these errors are playing across the bird flu response, Gonsalves said.

:sob:

9 Likes