Ongoing Mpox Happenings and other epidemic news

7 Likes

Amid the legal attempts to get V.N. treated, the health department noted in court documents that V.N. had been in a car accident in January 2023, after which she had gone to an emergency department complaining of chest pain. Doctors there—who did not know she had an active case of tuberculosis—took X-rays of her lungs. The images revealed that her lungs were in such bad shape that the doctors thought she had cancer. In fact, the images revealed that her tuberculosis case was worsening.

So good news, she is cured. How many people did she expose, and how many know they ar ae at risk? But I guess we need to take the win

8 Likes
11 Likes

Well, that’s not good

10 Likes

At what point will they rename it “cow flu”, I wonder?

5 Likes

It seems more Domesticated Flu, as it seems all the animals that were domesticated can carry the virus and make us sick.

5 Likes

Brazilian authorities confirm the very first Oropouche Fever deaths of the World. Two women in Bahia died with symptons similar to the Dengue Fever.

ETA

https://www.science.org/content/article/virus-spreading-in-latin-america-may-cause-stillbirths-and-birth-defects

I still can see a lot of women who were affected by the Zyka Virus taking their children to the nighbourhood hospital every week. It was tragic.

8 Likes
10 Likes
10 Likes
8 Likes

I grew up in the Central Valley. My mom, who was a nurse, would really caution us about Valley Fever during the very few windy days that we got.

A doctor friend of our family died from complications of Valley Fever in the early aughts. I really liked baby-sitting his kids in the summer because the family had a pool, the kids and I were competitive swimmers so lifeguarding was easy, and he wouldn’t let his youngest and devil child (Hi, Mike!) get away with shit (“Call me at the office”).

9 Likes

Warning, this article begins with a MUCH larger image of a mosquito :grimacing::

About 1 in 5 people who are infected with get a fever and flu-like symptoms, including headache, eye pain, fatigue, and muscle and joint pain. They may also have a rash. About 1 in 150 cases will develop neuroinvasive disease, which can cause brain swelling, brain damage and death. About 100 people die from West Nile infections in the US annually.

9 Likes

But Emile DeVito, who wrote Monday to the state’s Division of Fish and Wildlife, asked that officials not adopt the change because of a highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) that is striking peregrine falcons along the coast. DeVito is manager of science and stewardship for the New Jersey Conservation Foundation.
“The peregrine falcons are dying left and right,” DeVito told The Inquirer on Tuesday. “And they are dead within 24 hours of showing symptoms. What we know about it from Michigan and Wisconsin is that it’s going to be a huge problem.”

10 Likes
8 Likes
11 Likes
9 Likes
12 Likes

Mad Season 9 GIF by The Office

11 Likes

[New mpox strain in DR Congo ‘most dangerous yet’ - BBC News]

[WHO on alert as mpox cases surge to unprecedented levels in Africa | UN News]

[Deadlier strain of mpox spreads to more countries, raising officials’ alarm | CNN](

8 Likes
13 Likes