Ongoing Mpox Happenings and other epidemic news

Another reason to keep your cat indoors.

7 Likes

I’m keeping my cat indoors RIGHT NOW!!!

8 Likes

I’m keeping all four of our too many cats indoors right now!

[They are always indoors. I think they’re all agoraphobic at this point (ie - "why isn’t there a fucking ceiling out here!?!?!). Cats are very sweary, dontchknow.]

8 Likes

Those words in that order don’t make any sense.

10 Likes

We inherited 12 barn cats with our new place. Caught and fixed them all, but no way we are bringing them inside. We do have 2 indoor kitties who are way spoiled, but the outside guys are paying rent by keep the voles under control.

8 Likes

Actual mpox news :confused:

9 Likes
7 Likes
8 Likes

Some farms are refusing to test, and experts expect that there is a significant number of undocumented herd infections, particularly given the widespread detection of inactivated H5N1 in the commercial milk supply. Further, of the 140 herds with documented infections, federal officials do not know how many are still actively infected rather than recovered. It is unclear if infected cows can become reinfected, and if so, how quickly after an infection.

We really have learned nothing. But I guess getting a jump on the vaccine is a plus. I hate to be that guy, but given the demographics of most Midwest dairy farmers, this response is not particularly surprising.

I’m not alone in this assessment

In a presentation in London last month, global health leader Seth Berkley said it was “shocking to watch the ineptitude" of the US response to the H5N1 outbreak. He, like other experts, questioned whether the US public health community has learned or improved from the failures of the COVID-19 pandemic.

10 Likes

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/colorado-reports-human-case-bird-flu-2024-07-03/

:grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

Another case of a dairy worker getting bird flu. Mild symptoms. In Colorado.

7 Likes

Damn

11 Likes

Ah, shit…

Looks like all travel related, but still not great.

9 Likes

Yikes

So far this year, more than 9.7 million people have been infected, which is double the amount of people diagnosed with the virus in 2023.

9 Likes
7 Likes

Which ties into climate change as well, of course.

9 Likes

Finland to start bird flu vaccinations for humans, in world first
Reuters, June 25, 2024

“The vaccine will be offered to those aged 18 or over who are at increased risk of contracting avian influenza due to their work or other circumstances,” the Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare (THL) said in a statement.

(Via Jessica Wildfire’s newsletter.)

9 Likes

:sob:

8 Likes

In 2023, DRC reported 14,434 suspected cases and 728 deaths. The pace seems to be increasing this year, with more than 11,000 cases and 445 deaths already reported in 2024, according to the World Health Organization.

I keep thinking, “Maybe this will be the outbreak that convinces us to actually pay attention to the global south,” but nah, those people are poor and melanated. :man_facepalming:

9 Likes

Still no human-to-human transmission, but every time it infects one of us, it’s another opportunity to try for that magic mutation. I do have to wonder how many cases are not being reported?

11 Likes
7 Likes