Ongoing Mpox Happenings and other epidemic news

This is a good discussion. A poor mother or father may be worried because their child received a diagnosis that could serve as a lifelong label. How to reach a good diagnosis of subjective things that are not detected by clinical or imaging exams.

2 Likes

That’s the exact conundrum. But the DSM system was not developed for clinical application, it was developed to help catagorize and make fairly uniform subjects in studies and trials. It has evolved into the unquestionable seer of all things psychological, a task for which it is not well suited. See, for instance, the number of times “mental disorders” like anything LGBTQ+ have been eliminated by voting them out. Madness. But insurance companies love it because it is cut and dried, definitive and easily applied by untrained, low wage workers to deny claims. So long as they insist on it’s use, it will remain.

8 Likes
8 Likes
8 Likes
6 Likes
9 Likes

Yeah, that’s not concerning at all…

7 Likes

Edit:

Terminal A is primarily international flights.

11 Likes

Fuuuuck. Also, just had my second, third and fourth positive pertussis cases.

GET YOURSELF AND YOUR KIDS VACCINATED!!

Youtube Mask GIF by tyler oakley

13 Likes

No; you’ve convinced a lot of us!

10 Likes

Thanks. I needed that.

Cookie Monster Love GIF by Sesame Street

9 Likes

This is a different strain of bird flu than H5N1, which sickened dairy cows in 10 U.S. states.

8 Likes

GIF by VH1

6 Likes
8 Likes

In the opinion of Ian Jones, professor of virology at the University of Reading (UK), it is “impossible to generalise” based on a single case.

This is probably the most important statement in this article. A second case would change this entirely, but barring that, it will go down as “Well, that was weird.” No clue how it plays out, will have to wait and see.

11 Likes

“This suggests that A/Texas/37/2024-like viruses would need to undergo changes to spread efficiently by droplets through the air, such as from coughs and sneezes,” the CDC said in its data summary. The agency went on to note that “efficient respiratory droplet spread, like what is seen with seasonal influenza viruses, is needed for sustained person-to-person spread to happen.”

This is really not as reassuring as I suspect they would like it to be. But the important thing is that, as far as we know, it has not yet found the right combination of those changes. And evolution is blind. But thing is with viruses, they get virtually infinite spins at the wheel. And, as anyone familiar with the Infinite Improbability Drive already knows, if it can happen, it will. Tay tuned.

7 Likes
5 Likes

Well, that’s not good…
'Scuse me. Gotta go check pandemic readiness supplies.

7 Likes

Damn! Out of stock.

Maybe they have some freeze dried hot dogs or spam.

6 Likes
10 Likes