Ongoing supply chain crisis causes massive chicken tender shortage

And when the tater tots and fish sticks run out, well then I guess you’ll just have to take them to Waffle House.

6 Likes

Not a problem for my brother-in-law’s family. His two kids, one’s 18 months or so and the other is almost 4, are food vacuums and will eat anything. The kids certainly have their favorites (yogurt, cookies, grapes) but meals are just pint-sized version of what mom and dad are having.

3 Likes

You can have mine…

2 Likes

The goddamn GOP, every single day: “Waahhh, why am I being affected by issues caused by the pandemic I’m deliberately prolonging? Consequences are supposed to be for the people I can’t be bothered to protect, not MEE-EEE-EEE!”

8 Likes

This. My quick google investigation indicates that ‘tenders’ are specifically a strip of meat attached to the chicken breast, so like breasts and wings each chicken only has two and there’s some effort involved in separating them from the rest of the chicken breast. Nuggets on the other hand as everyone famously knows are just processed chicken parts shaped into whatever shape is desired, something that seems like it’d take less effort as well as not being limited in count.

5 Likes

Just mentioned to my dad last week they’ll probably start reporting a chicken wing shortage right before the Super Bowl. The MSM has to keep up the anti-administation outrage on a regular basis. Bonus points if it distracts or detracts from anything positive in the State of the Union address. :weary:

11 Likes

Huh? Are there families where this is different?

ETA: I’ve lived in three different countries and I have not heard once of a family where the kids didn’t eat the same food as the parents once they were off pureed baby food.

1 Like

I assumed so, especially if there are picky eaters in the family. Mom and dad eat whatever and they nuke up some chicken nuggets for junior. I know the rules in my family were you eat what’s for dinner, even if it’s just the sides (I often had to be cajoled into eating meat) or make yourself a sandwich.

1 Like

As long as they are processing chicken, there will be chicken nuggets. They’re sort of like the poultry version of beef’s pink slime, but shaped into nuggets and breaded instead of being shaped into patties.

Chicken tenders are the part of the breast that attaches to the ribs, containing tubes and weird fatty gristly things, that were trimmed off of restaurant cut breasts. “Tenders” were a clever way to market that waste - bread it, fry it, tastes like chicken. Now people believe that chicken tenders are a premium cut of chicken, so the marketing worked!

8 Likes

Raising Canes had plenty of chicken tenders the last time I picked up dinner there. I hope they don’t run out.

Was one of them the US? Because it’s weirdly common here. My siblings and I were never picky eaters and ate like you said, but IDK how much that’s the norm vs. the exception.

2 Likes

No. Germany, Iceland, Norway

It’s never a bad time to read the best piece of chicken tender journalism ever written.

1 Like

After a year of pandemic the price of aluminum cans had tripled to quadrupled, and practically every other component of beer had at least doubled in price. From grains to hops to cardboard boxes and kegs. Companies were just absorbing the extra cost for a time, but by early this year the reduced margins started to catch up to them and prices started going up from $2-10/case between $20 and $50 a keg. Our suppliers started to cap discounts, cut marketing and promotion budgets. Some distributors and producers started to refuse returns of damaged and expired product.

The combination of increasing cost, and reduced sales on the restaurant side of things created this huge cash crunch. People started getting laid off around June. I got cut loose in late August, even though my sales numbers were still good. Seemingly because I cost more than others because my sales were good.

From what I’ve heard around that’s basically the situation in the entire food and bev industry right now.

5 Likes

Sorry to hear that. Hope you are doing okay.

6 Likes

New job, new city. Ultimately they beat me to the punch. Beer business is about to head off a cliff and I’d been looking for a change for a while.

4 Likes

Good luck! Best wishes!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.